Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring PH?

Tosai

Measuring PH?

I was wondering what people are using to measure PH in their ponds. I know much has been written on the subject over the years but it seems like many still prefer to use the old standby API kit. I see many electronic meters on the market but in reading the reviews many find them to be problematic. Does anyone use an electronic meter that they would recommend which has held up well or have any other alternative to the API kit that they prefer?

MCA
    Hanna and many other vendors all make pH meters. I use American Marine Pinpoint pH and ORP meters.

I'd save myself the trouble of using electronic pH meters. I follow KISS. The API test kits are the easiest and most convenient to use.

With pH meters, you have to calibrate regularly. And you have to have the calibration liquid. For me, it's a lot of trouble. How much does a pH meter cost? And what is the cost of ownership in terms of yearly buying a new calbration liquid? And how willing are you to calibrate? The cost of the API test kit? Just the kit. It has a long expiry date so you can use it for many years depending on how often you use it. And you don't have to calibrate. And you can still trust the results.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Hanna and many other vendors all make pH meters. I use American Marine Pinpoint pH and ORP meters.
    The American Marine Pinpoint looks like a good one. The reviews all look good and the only negative seemed to be that one person commented the probe should be replaced every 18 months. Have you found that you need to replace the probe every year and a half?

MCA
    Depends on use and storage. All probes are consumables and have to be replace sometime.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Depends on use and storage. All probes are consumables and have to be replace sometime.
    Do you use a storage solution? If so do you buy it or make it yourself? I found the American Marine Pinpoint on sale (black Friday sale) at Marine Depot and will probably order later today or tomorrow.

MCA
    The probe comes with a bottle to keep the end of the probe wet. Keep calibration liquid in it to keep the probe wet.

Tosai
    Well I got my APM Ph meter yesterday and all I can say is how did I ever manage without it? My API test kit (with the drops and color card) had me thinking my PH was about 7.6-7.9. It turns out my PH was actually 8.67. I am thrilled to have this wonderful device so I can now accurately measure my PH. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Douwe View Post
    Well I got my APM Ph meter yesterday and all I can say is how did I ever manage without it? My API test kit (with the drops and color card) had me thinking my PH was about 7.6-7.9. It turns out my PH was actually 8.67. I am thrilled to have this wonderful device so I can now accurately measure my PH. Thanks for the advice.
    Interesting. All this time API has been off. And I really thought API tests are reliable. Now I have to buy a pH meter, a kH meter, an ammonia meter, a nitrite meter, and a nitrate meter.

Or perhaps there is another reason why the API readings are off so much.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Interesting. All this time API has been off. And I really thought API tests are reliable. Now I have to buy a pH meter, a kH meter, an ammonia meter, a nitrite meter, and a nitrate meter.

Or perhaps there is another reason why the API readings are off so much.
    I have been using API test kits for years but I have never compared the results to anything other measurement so I always took them for granted. What opened my eyes was my API ammonia test kit and when I measured Ammonia on several different water samples (tap water, distilled water, bottled drinking water, and pond water) I always seem to read .25 instead of the bright yellow that should indicate zero.

You are correct in that there may be other variables involved but I am now sold on the APM PH meter especially since it comes with packets of calibration fluid. The fluid allows for accurate calibration of the meter and gives me a high degree of confidence that the measurement is correct. Digital readout of numbers is so much easier than trying to match up colors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast