Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its hard to re-home koi

I hosted the local club in October and gave away three in the 24-27" range. That made the space needed for my koi in New Jersey to come home with the closing of Quality Koi. Understandably, nobody with a pond large enough wanted to take two worn dowagers (over 85cm), one with a bent body and the other with hikkui. They had become sad to see.Then it happened a fellow came along who was pleased as could be to have them. They now have a farm pond to themselves. The one with hikkui might heal there. If so, she will make a beautiful sight, even if worn to kichi eyes.

Personally, KHV concerns cause me not to take any re-homed koi. But, I have taken the risk on two occasions when the koi were better than what I had and I had high confidence in the person who was re-homing. The combination of what I thought was very low risk and improving the overall collection beat down my will power.

When I learn about KHV outbreaks, which continue to occur, it seems common that some gift koi were added in the months prior... or koi rescued from an abandoned pond when people moved away. Free koi can be the most expensive of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sactownkoi View Post
    I live Sacramento I have a few koi I need to rehome. Very large koi over 30" maybe we can set something up in the spring time.
    Sounds good, will be in contact

Tosai

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    Sounds good, will be in contact

Sansai
    They now have a farm pond to themselves. The one with hikkui might heal there. If so, she will make a beautiful sight, even if worn to kichi eyes.

What would the healing properties of a farm dams water have over your well manicured pond water having water changes and all that go with well kept pond water ?

I have always understood that hikkui was the result of a unique virus which attacks the red pigment of the gosanke group of fish.

Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post

What would the healing properties of a farm dams water have over your well manicured pond water having water changes and all that go with well kept pond water ?

I have always understood that hikkui was the result of a unique virus which attacks the red pigment of the gosanke group of fish.

Garfield
    It has been observed that hikkui 'goes away' when a koi with it is placed in green water for a period of some months. It returns when the koi is placed back in clear water. Why this occurs is undetermined. Some think it likely the same temporary cure would be achieved in muddy water, but I am not aware of anyone actually studying the matter. Stories about green water 'cures' go back to at least the 1950s, probably as far back as pre-World War II days. I had a koi with hikkui many years ago, which was placed in a temporary swimming pool while my current pond was being built (back in 2005). The water in the pool became very green after just a couple of days. When the time came to return the koi to the new pond about a dozen days after the pool had turned green, there was no sign of hikkui. I was surprised. I had expected it to be in worse shape. The hikkui returned. I do not recall how quickly, but do recall that about 4 months later a fellow asked if he could have the fish for breeding despite having hikkui. I said 'sure', but that I'd not use a koi prone to hikkui for breeding. When we caught the fish, the surface of the red pigment rubbed off on my hand as if it was some sort of tinted paste. He still took the fish. I don't know what became of it afterwards. Whether the temporary 'cure' is due to the algae, the blockage of light, blockage of UV rays or something else is subject to a lot of theories, but no actual study I've heard about.

Typical experience;

Email received 12/30/16:

Hi folks, if you need some koi for your ponds see attached..

The Koi give-a-way will be on Sunday between 10:00 am AND 1:00 PM.
    THE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO GET HERE AS THE FOLLOWING.

(deleted)

Please bring a net and something to take Koi in. If you do not have something to carry the Koi in, expect to give artificial respiration to your fish until you get home.

Email received 12/31/16:

I sent out a memo yesterday regarding someone who had some koi to give away.
    We just found out the fish are not very nice and their living
    conditions are marginal.
    You should skip this ...

Send you email, let me know if you need any koi rehome, now that spring is in full affect.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    Send you email, let me know if you need any koi rehome, now that spring is in full affect.
    Hey for some reason it won't let pm you

If you get involved in a local koi club, you will likely find that there is someone wanting to re-home a koi or two. They may be pond grade, or well past their prime, but usually quite cheap or free. The risks can be better evaluated if you know how the person cares for their koi. That is usually not possible with 'rescue koi'. There are folks around who take in 'rescue koi', keep them separate from their own collection and make them available to whoever comes along. Whether such koi are more safe or higher risk due to the mixing from multiple unknown sources, is something to be decided by the hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by sactownkoi View Post
    Hey for some reason it won't let pm you

Feel free to give me call anytime, I included my phone last message.
    Happy koiing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast