Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Its hard to re-home koi

Its hard to re-home koi

Does anyone else have a hard time re-homing koi? I have been lucky for a little while in re-homing 2 koi with family. I still get to see them and even help upkeep family ponds to make sure all is well.

With the level of care differing for other koi keepers, it is hard for me to just let go of my once little pets (now 28"+). I guess I can try our Club, but most really want to grow their own tosai/nisai (like me).

I'm lucky to have a neighbor who's lost the appetite for the most beautiful koi, as he hasn't been the most coscientious and his koi numbers get reduced easily by attrition over time. He's now just happy to get some decent koi from a healthy pond, and I'm just across the street. I feel bad knowing my koi will eventually die earlier than usual, compared to koi under my care, but I'm happy knowing there are much, much worse conditions that koi can be consigned to. I have no doubt that unwanted koi could just as easily be euthanized by dealers who got them in a trade-in, just as unwanted dogs and cats are by the SPCA.

Many dealers of ugly koi won't accept your koi, especially and even if you just want to donate it to them. They are afraid your koi will bring in disease, and they also have enough koi on their hands. The only koi they would get from you are the ones you consider failed koi, only because you bought these koi at a high price, and they did not match your expectations in their development and end up taking pond space. They are still gorgeous koi, and so there are dealers who will buy it from you for a song.

Sometimes, I think of euthanizing them instead of giving them away for them to end up dying a slow death in dismal conditions.

I remember that pet shops with koi will take the koi. However, my koi are more than twice as big as the koi that the local pet shops will have for sale (and much nicer). The pet shops holding tanks are no larger than a 150-200 gallon bucket, so not sure how long the large koi will last in those tight quarters (with other small koi). When I have my tosai koi in my small 5' diameter x 2' high QT, they tend to want to hurl themselves out of the tank. Luckily all my round QTs have a zippered top net. What a dilema?!

MCA
    I find the idea of want to grow you own a bit odd. That is like me starting to bred dogs or cats and yet I do not have any champion pure bred blood parents. All I could create is lots of mutts. Maybe lovable mutts, but mutts. Why does the world need more cheap and cheerful pond grade koi?

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I find the idea of want to grow you own a bit odd. That is like me starting to bred dogs or cats and yet I do not have any champion pure bred blood parents. All I could create is lots of mutts. Maybe lovable mutts, but mutts. Why does the world need more cheap and cheerful pond grade koi?

??? Not sure about breeding, but caring and enjoying the journey of growing out the koi, watching and learning the future development is the fun part. Pet shop koi generally come from fish farms who are just pumping out crap koi and fish to make quotas. Everything takes work and space and money. Its just a hobby for most people. Im sure all folks when buying koi or any fish want to get the best one that they can afford. The show quality koi comes with presumed heavier price tags so not everyone will go down that road. Buying the mutts also help breeders get rid of their tateshita for some money. And in the process, may get some koi keepers to progress to the next level of koi show involvement. Seems to be the road most travelled. I have noticed that with hobbies, everything is shared information and learning. The knowledgeable leading the blind, and the blind taking it in step by step based on comfort level.

I had expectations that I won't get a show-worthy gosanke koi when my koi spawned. And I also know that having all those eggs turn into fry is going to overwhelm both me and my pond. Still, I let a few eggs turn into fry, and I ended up with a manageable school of 50 fry. Turning two this coming March, the school has been winnowed to just 10. I have learned a lot growing these fry to tosai, and it has enriched me in my appreciation and understanding of koi. Not everything in the hobby is about having only koi that measures up to a minimum aesthetic. Growing koi that doesn't measures up makes me understand more why breeders have to kill so many fry and turn them into food for koi. It makes me experience first-hand how koi vary in their phenotype, even if they share the same oyagoi.

It also makes me see koi I normally would not have seen in a dealer's imports from Japan, or even from a local cheapo breeder. These koi may not be the prized gosanke, some may not be so large, and some are, but I enjoy seeing them grow, and also want to keep a few. One is so friendly that I will overlook its minor imperfection of not having a clean head (a ginrin green koi). Another is a humongous black koi with a yellow stomach (karasu). And another is a small apple head yamabuki that has a pearlescent glitter; it may not grow to be a large koi, but it is special in a way I can't explain.

Raising an animal from birth gives me a special connection. Getting one from a dealer or a pet shop doesn't give me that feeling. And it's not only me that feels it. The animal is likewise connected to you more. Koi keeping is not about having the best koi for a show, it is also for me a way to be connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    Does anyone else have a hard time re-homing koi?
    Yes, since KHV... some people (and most all trusted Koi dealers) will not accept rehome Koi.

I wish some of you that rehome koi live near me, Sacramento area, I would take all your unwanted koi, and your welcome to swing by anytime to check them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Its hard to re-home koi-img_8941.jpg  

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    I wish some of you that rehome koi live near me, Sacramento area, I would take all your unwanted koi, and your welcome to swing by anytime to check them out.
    I live Sacramento I have a few koi I need to rehome. Very large koi over 30" maybe we can set something up in the spring time.

I too have a hard time re-homing. I'm in a koi dead area and local ponds are too small or not in well enough condition for me to consider. Maybe time for me to bring some to shows for the club auction. Hmmmm......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast