Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Strain: Momotaro Auction December 12-13, 2016

Eye Strain: Momotaro Auction December 12-13, 2016

Well, if the Narita sale on the 11th does not empty the wallets of the deep pocketed kichi, Momotaro aims to do so. 231 up for auction:

Momotaro koi

There are Sanke of nearly every sort. Showa from 7 different mothers. (Real questions about how some of them may develop.) And, 23 3-year males that are amazing. Any of them would take Best Male in any U.S. show. Many hours of study can be spent on these koi.

Are there really so many deep-pocketed kichi ?? ...some of these must end up going for reasonable prices. Got to have a dealer there in person to find out.

Working my way down, I find the Black Dragon offspring especially interesting as a group, but risky, I think. A goodly number have Sanke bodies, and those that do not come close. The huge questions concern the sumi. A number lack motoguro altogether. Others have motoguro in one pectoral only. One with fine motoguro has sumi on the body in Sanke-like patches well above the lateral line.... pretty much a Sanke with motoguro in atmosphere. These individuals make me wonder whether the sumi development on others will follow what we usually expect of Showa, or will be more Sanke-like.... What you see may be all there ever is. This group gives a real impression of what is being done in the breeding program, but not Showa for the risk adverse. .... Other oyagoi groups have more individuals whose traits seem (emphasis on 'seem') more likely to follow conventional expectations. Sometimes, 'boring' conventional Showa are all the excitement one can take.

There are times when I come across a koi that challenges my thinking. Showa #121 is one of those koi: Momotaro koi

Her shiroji glistens. Body form is fine, even if she has imperfect pectoral fins. Pigment quality is very good. The patterning grabs the eye. I find her extraordinarily beautiful.... but she fails because of her pattern... her sumi pattern. Her motoguro is bold and makes the pure white stand out, and the diagonal slash of sumi across her body is like the sash on a gauzy ball gown of some 19th century belle. Altogether, a koi whose understated elegance makes her all the more dramatic. But, the only hint of sumi anywhere else is a scale toward the tail.... perhaps never anything more than a sort of beauty mark. No sumi on her head and no indication of any coming up. It is hard to imagine even a judge with iconoclastic tendencies noting her for honors.

This is one to place in that 'collector class' of koi whose beauty is outside the norms but cannot be denied. Not a contender in a show, but a winner to all who come to visit.

An excellent pick Mike! This showa certainly has a lot of character as well as all the essential elements. The body and shiroji speak for themselves, but the ginrin-like edges of the scales make it quite a spectacle to behold. It may not be a showa for everyone, but I think that the folks that it appeals to will be quite drawn to it. Will be interesting to know what kind of price it fetches.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    An excellent pick Mike! This showa certainly has a lot of character as well as all the essential elements. The body and shiroji speak for themselves, but the ginrin-like edges of the scales make it quite a spectacle to behold. It may not be a showa for everyone, but I think that the folks that it appeals to will be quite drawn to it. Will be interesting to know what kind of price it fetches.
    Gorgeous,

So laid back in the vat.

Garfield

PS It's those thick HAIRY armpits that make it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    If you learn the price, tell me only if it is very high.

Tosai
    My pick is White Dragon 115 and 101

Oh Santa...............

Tosai
    Does anyone have any information on the selling price(s) that these auction fish fetched?

I have not heard anything. It is considered inappropriate to publicize the bids. Unless a dealer attending (or a purchaser for whom a dealer acted) discloses something, we will never know. If there is a phenomenally high winning bid, word usually leaks out eventually, but at these auctions it truly has to be extraordinary to make good gossip.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I have not heard anything. It is considered inappropriate to publicize the bids. Unless a dealer attending (or a purchaser for whom a dealer acted) discloses something, we will never know. If there is a phenomenally high winning bid, word usually leaks out eventually, but at these auctions it truly has to be extraordinary to make good gossip.
    Russell Peters advertises their product?

Garfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast