Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: For anyone who still has an EA herding net

MCA

For anyone who still has an EA herding net

I did the net head replacement of my EA herding net with a Matsuda net head. It is very easy.

• Use a metric allen wrench to remove the 4 bolts that go through the EA pole and hold on the net loop.
    • Once you remove the bolts, the the blue plastic insert that holds the net loop should slide out. It may need encouragement from a 5 pound mallet (that you need for the next step).
    • Using the mallet, slightly flatten the end of the EA pole for a length or around 5 inches. I did it on one side and the opposite side of the pole to create a elliptical shape that match the inside of the Matsuda net holder.
    • Use the mallet as needed to create the right shape. When shape is good, use a file to remove any burs or nicks in the pole or the inside of the Matsuda net holder.
    • Apply some plumber’s silicone grease to the inside of Matsuda net holder and side in the pole.
    • I held onto the Matsuda net head and pounded the pole into a concrete wall to fully seat the pole inside the net head holder
    • Use some stainless sheet metal screws (or stainless bolt and net) to secure the net head onto the pole. Dont use the screws that come with the net head; they are for attaching a wooden pole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For anyone who still has an EA herding net-img_1292.jpeg   For anyone who still has an EA herding net-img_1297.jpeg  
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Why would anybody want to use a EA pole on a Matsuda net head? Did you not get a Matsuda net pole?

MCA
    The EA poles are excellent as they will not warp like some wooden ones. The Matsuda net head was shipped on a pallet of koi boxes coming from Niigata. So getting the net head here was easy. But a 3-4 meter long net pole is a huge shipping problem unless you are shipping over a container. And you don't ship koi in a steel container.