Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: The Koi hobby seriously threatened in Spain

The Koi hobby seriously threatened in Spain

Hello,
    after some years whithout posting here, sadly I'm back again with very bad news.
    The current situation of the whole Koi habby in Spain is Desperate.
    The common carp and all its subspecies and varieties have been included in the Spanish list of invasive species.
    If koi are not excluded from the list, they can not be bought, sold, owned, transported, reproduced, etc. In all the Spanish territory. This will destroy the hobby in Spain, since any koi related activity will be illegal.
    The Spanish Koi Keeper's Society (AEK) has submitted a claim together with an expert report, but the experts committee that advises the Ministry has strongly argued against it, and recommended that Kois carp must be considered invasive species for all purposes.
    Next January 10, the deadline for submitting a final claim ends. But it seems to me that we need a miracle to revert the situation.
    Very sad and worrying news, since if koi are not explicitly excluded from the invasive species list, it will destroy the hobby in Spain and set a dangerous precendent in Europe.

Diego
    A.E.K.
    The Spanish KoiKeepers Society
    Diego Jordano
    Cordoba, Spain
    A.E.K. web site http://www.elkoi.com
    pers. web site http://es.geocities.com/estanqueskois/

Where have I heard this before?

Most recently: Ban On Koi Imports...Again

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Where have I heard this before?
    Most recently: Ban On Koi Imports...Again
    Interesting. What is happening currently in USA? Are there any states where Koi carp are effectively listed as an invasive species and banned?

I dont see that problem happening in Asia. There are lots of politicians, very rich businessmen, and from the media that are koi collectors and would not hear anything of those so called "experts" interfering and causing the demise of the hobby. The only way the koi would be banned is if KHV showed its ugly head and threaten the koi collections of many.

In urban areas in the Philippines, lakes and rivers would be polluted enough that even invasive species wouldnt proliferate let alone survive. Away from the city, such as in Taal Lake, there are already invasive species such as Pangasius, a large catfish also known as cream dory, the result of escapes hatchlings from fishpens run by politicians and generals. This isn't an issue though, as the well-known fish known as tawilis, endemic to this lake, still thrives and harvest of it abounds. This fish is very tasty, and it's affordability attests to its not being scarce and endangered. In a nearby large island group collectively known as Palawan, known for pristine beaches and lakes, enough safeguards are made to ensure invasive species are not brought in. So far, so good.

In Spain, the situation could be more complex. Native fish could be outcompeted by carp. Koi let loose on rivers and lakes revert to the regular carp, and letting koi keepers self-police themselves might be difficult. All it takes is a few merciful koi keepers letting their unwanted koi loose on the local rivers and lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by estanque_koi View Post
    Interesting. What is happening currently in USA? Are there any states where Koi carp are effectively listed as an invasive species and banned?
    I believe the state of Maine is the only one with a ban on the common carp. Unless there has been a recent change, the Maine courts have ruled that koi are covered and it is illegal to possess them.

I fully share the concern about carp being introduced to natural water systems. In much of the U.S., however, carp are already present. So, a ban accomplishes nothing in those areas. The areas with carp can trace their problem back to fish purposefully released for fishing. I am not aware of of any natural waterbodies invaded by koi. I expect there must be some somewhere in the U.S., but folks who spend money to acquire a pet fish do not release them when they get tired of them. They sell them (or try to sell them) and give them away.

Koi Fishing

Published on Feb 13, 2014 by Arizona/Arkansas Fishing

The Koi were biting this week! Caught 2 Koi on hotdogs in about an hour and then the fishing shut down on one side of the lake so we moved to the other side and caught a Tilapia almost instantly. We also have been doing really good at several community ponds and lakes around the valley this week so we'll have Trout fishing videos up in the coming weeks. AND REMEMBER its only less than a month away before the switch to Channel Catfish begins at the community lakes! If YOU enjoyed this fishing episode, give it a Like! It lets us know what types of videos you all want to see more of! This video is made 100% with my GoPro 3+ Silver HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V0lJ4CS91Y

Well, that is one 'some place'... and a few more come up. Must be even more.

Not good for the native fish or ecology.

Thanks, Ric.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Well, that is one 'some place'... and a few more come up. Must be even more.
    Not good for the native fish or ecology.
    Thanks, Ric.
    I have contact with many local Koi keepers who are not into expensive and/or show quality Koi.

The Showa in the Arizona/Arkansas Fishing YouTube video is better than most of the Koi I see in local Koi keeper's ponds.