Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Anyone reading

Anyone reading

Jos Aben's book 'The Secrets of Koi Revelled'? I am enjoying it... and recommend it. Most of the material has been covered before, but there are some approaches that I find to be modern and in touch with today's koi koi keeping. Two subjects I have really enjoyed are Nutrition and Feeding, where Jos does a great job of explaining food and how the koi utilizes it. Some of the principles have been discussed before, but were met with rebuttal. To me it is wonderful to see this in print by a reputable breeder. Good stuff...

Great book for the intermediate hobbyist, but for most experienced hobbyists, we will find much of it has been discussed before. I don't find any ground breaking material, but find a few tid bits here and there that have made the cost of the book worth it for me.

MCA
    Reading a book? When we have Koi Keepers of North America Facebook page?

It does sound like a good book.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Reading a book? When we have Koi Keepers of North America Facebook page?

It does sound like a good book.
    LOL.... the FB groups are great for quick entertainment and to show off a new acquisition. Sometimes good advice, sometimes not, depending on who responds before a post falls down the page. KKNA does better than many others due to a few who seem on it continuously. FB is truly a social medium, and not designed for continuing discussion or retrieval of information. But, obviously, the superiority of FB for entertainment has contributed to the universal decline in internet forum activity... not only in regard to koi, but also other hobbies from stamp collecting to racing speed boats.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    LOL.... the FB groups are great for quick entertainment and to show off a new acquisition. Sometimes good advice, sometimes not, depending on who responds before a post falls down the page. KKNA does better than many others due to a few who seem on it continuously. FB is truly a social medium, and not designed for continuing discussion or retrieval of information. But, obviously, the superiority of FB for entertainment has contributed to the universal decline in internet forum activity... not only in regard to koi, but also other hobbies from stamp collecting to racing speed boats.
    People and place - FB. Ideas - FFB. Forget Face Book.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    People and place - FB. Ideas - FFB. Forget Face Book.
    Except when it comes to getting pictures and current updates on the 2017 Shinkokai All Japan Koi Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAlyBQwtcVo

Tosai
    Got my copy a few weeks ago, good reading

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Jos Aben's book 'The Secrets of Koi Revelled'? I am enjoying it... and recommend it. Most of the material has been covered before, but there are some approaches that I find to be modern and in touch with today's koi koi keeping. Two subjects I have really enjoyed are Nutrition and Feeding, where Jos does a great job of explaining food and how the koi utilizes it. Some of the principles have been discussed before, but were met with rebuttal. To me it is wonderful to see this in print by a reputable breeder. Good stuff...

Great book for the intermediate hobbyist, but for most experienced hobbyists, we will find much of it has been discussed before. I don't find any ground breaking material, but find a few tid bits here and there that have made the cost of the book worth it for me.