Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Koi Hobby in the last 10 years, how has it changed.....

The Koi Hobby in the last 10 years, how has it changed.....

Haven't been around the last ten years but was curious what the koi-bito veterans have seen changed in the last 10 years in the hobby and advancements....

MCA
    Big improvements in mechanical stage filtration: sieves, RDFs
    Improvements in bio conversion (nitrification) with a wider acceptance of showers, ceramic media
    More choices in high quality food: Nikikawa, Saki Hikari, Tomigai, Kenzen
    Improving koi quality from Japan for the same money.....improving value

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Big improvements in mechanical stage filtration: sieves, RDFs
    Improvements in bio conversion (nitrification) with a wider acceptance of showers, ceramic media
    More choices in high quality food: Nikikawa, Saki Hikari, Tomigai, Kenzen
    Improving koi quality from Japan for the same money.....improving value
    MCA pretty much nailed it!

With free shipping by some vendors, better prices, availability, and more options on good quality Koi food.

Agree with all the above. I'd just add that the knowledge level of serious koikeepers is much higher overall than it was 10+ years ago, and the 'mystique' and myths of koi has largely given way to realism. But, the same old newbie stuff still comes up. It just doesn't take hold as it once did.

I have to say here the biggest change in the hobby is how fast it has grown and how so much better the hobbyist are now in taking care of their pets. While before it was.rare to see koi even to be grown still with quality intact at jumbo size, it is more and more common now.

In the competition scene, the hobby has now allowed more choices with the entry of more dealers and from more farms. Quality standards in choosing koi have also improved with many hobbyist upgrading the quality of their koi. The national koi show where the top hobbyist compete continues to be become more and more competitive although I can now see that koi keeping skills now is a big factor rather than just choosing the most expensive koi money can buy.
    The sad part of this hobby is that very high quality koi prices have continued to soar and that auctioning koi is something the way to either get good(and bad) quality koi at an affordable to the most ridiculous of prices. There is also more and more koi shows happening, a testament to the growing hobby here.

On the koi filter scene here, what is being adopted is open filters that are easily cleaned and showers instead of the traditional 1/3 size filters of before.. RDF or seive have failed to be trending for reason that its expensive. Pressure filters are not anymore adapted.

In terms of koi food, there are now many available good brands in the market to choose from.

Nothing of the scale that is the bottom drain, though. Nothing revolutionary, just incremental and evolutionary improvements, which isn't to say it has to be revolutionary.

The lack of revolutionary improvement may simply mean that the hobby has matured, in the same way that the computer industry has matured.

But to count the tools we have at our disposal, I would say it is a mere matter of choosing and implementing from the existing body of knowledge we have. Since the existing body of knowledge isn't perfect, the hobby of koi keeping still remains an art, even though a lot of science is used to great advantage.

There is still ways to go. Unless locally-raised koi from tosai (not locally bred, that will come next, or may never come) can truly compete well against Japan-raised koi, to the point that hands down it cannot be denied that the locally raised koi is the grand champion, the level of competition will never reach the level of competitiveness it can achieve, and generate excitement. The satisfaction of this kind of winning would be infinitesimally more meaningful than winning thru importing a fresh off the boat koi from Japan. Not to discourage or look down upon the practice of such kind of winning, as they do indeed raise the level of competition, but the level of expertise in raising koi as a hobbyist seems to be stunted. Imports should encourage locally-raised koi hobbyists to improve their koi keeping skills, but instead local hobbyists just point to the putative superior climate in Japan and just fold.

You have touched on another change, Yerrag. The old debate about Japanese-bred koi and domestic-bred koi is over, not because anyone 'won', but because the trends are now obvious. There are quality koi being produced around the world by several breeders whose production would have been extolled pre-2004 earthquake. The gap in quality keeps closing. And, in Japan the number of breeders continues to decline as the biggest operations increasingly dominate at shows, and the export market for all but the best quality declines due to competition.

There is also tremendous growth in the number of koikeepers, but not in the organized hobby. Koi food manufacturers are producing far more food than ever before and the industry as a whole enjoys strong growth, while local clubs are supplanted by Facebook and the internet for the social and educational functions clubs once monopolized.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    You have touched on another change, Yerrag. The old debate about Japanese-bred koi and domestic-bred koi is over, not because anyone 'won', but because the trends are now obvious. There are quality koi being produced around the world by several breeders whose production would have been extolled pre-2004 earthquake. The gap in quality keeps closing. And, in Japan the number of breeders continues to decline as the biggest operations increasingly dominate at shows, and the export market for all but the best quality declines due to competition.

There is also tremendous growth in the number of koikeepers, but not in the organized hobby. Koi food manufacturers are producing far more food than ever before and the industry as a whole enjoys strong growth, while local clubs are supplanted by Facebook and the internet for the social and educational functions clubs once monopolized.
    I'm a little presumptuous to project our experience with koi in the Philippines to the rest of the world. We are closer to Japan and the transport of koi here from Japan is easier than it would be from Japan to the US and to Europe.

So, having jumbo-sized mature koi shipped from Japan to the Philippines would entail less cost as well as less risk. So it is that every year, koi fresh from Japan, as well as those months from arriving from Japan, are entered in koi shows here - would far outshine the locally-raised (I mean raised, not locally-bred) koi. The koi keeping skills here are not to the point where Japanese-bred koi raised from tosai can develop so well and fully that they stand up comparably to the mature koi that recently arrived from Japan.

Here, I am talking about koi that are all sourced from Japanese breeders. Japan-bred locally-raised koi vs. Japan-bred Japan-raised koi. The former always loses to the latter in the koi shows. The challenge here is for the former to beat the latter, which has never happened. I don't know if neighboring countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore have similar experiences. I hope we have more input from these countries but I guess they are all in the koianswers.com forum.

I don't know really how American-bred koi really stack up to Japanese-bred koi and how much of the entries in koi shows there are American-bred or Japan-bred. But if many Japanese breeders are having to close, the hobby must have matured and the breeders are having to consolidate and marginal breeders would have to close down. US breeders are not having an easy time as well. But I don't know what obvious trends you refer to though. I can say US wine has caught up with French wine, but I don't believe US-bred koi can yet hold a candle against Japan-bred koi. The gene pool to tap from in Japan is ginormous, and the brute force methods of the Big 3 to find the next AJKC grand champion to boast about cannot be easily overcome by some intrepid breeder outside Japan, let alone in Japan. However, if you say the gap in quality keeps closing, it must entail great work on the part of US koi breeders. And since Japanese koi quality is a fast moving target, it takes more work to close the gap.

According to what people are posting on Facebook it seems that expensive doitsu are a thing...Good to see you Tony
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Doitsu back in style? The return of something that was so fashionable in the early 80's...hahahahaha.

The one thing I see that has changed is the amount of walk in customers that visit my local koi shops....pretty dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast