Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Will This Beni Go or Will It Stay?

Will This Beni Go or Will It Stay?

It depends.

If it's a gosanke, we want it to say. But we fear that it will go.

If it's an ogon, we want it to go. But we fear that it will stay.

A patch of beni in a gosanke, it seems, has the same likelihood of disappearing, as a tiny speck of beni in a yamabuki, has of staying on.

Why is that? Is it because we are born pessimists? Or is that the reality? Just wondering.

I have a yamabuki fry that turned two recently, so is technically a sansai, and has two light spots of beni. Should I be patient and wait it out to see if the beni disappears as the body expands and scales stretch, or cull it?

I have a shiro utsuri that started out with a red tinge on one eye, and one speck of beni on its body. Now, both eyes have beni, and beni specks increased to two. But it's a shiro. Would the yamabuki suffer a similar outcome?

Tosai
    Beni in the front will stay. Beni at the back might go. Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Beni in the front will stay. Beni at the back might go. Or not?

You never had a Tancho Kohaku lose its beni?

Tosai
    I read a book some time ago that touched on genetics and how breeding pairs were selected over the years. Unfortunately I do not recall much detail about the book. The author suggested that breeders over the years favored sanke and kohaku with strong beni on the front half of the body and that this selection process had let to a strong genetic possibility of good beni at the front. The reverse, according to the author, applies to sumi.

I did not motivate my comment nor did I write more than a short sentence. I ended it with a 'confused' . Please see my comment in that context.

Predicting color development is not something anyone is really good at and I doubt that anyone on this forum is going to present a definitive answer to the question. I think contributors are going to share their experiences as they relate to yerrag's question and nothing concrete is going to come from it. That is Koi science as we know it

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I read a book some time ago that touched on genetics and how breeding pairs were selected over the years. Unfortunately I do not recall much detail about the book. The author suggested that breeders over the years favored sanke and kohaku with strong beni on the front half of the body and that this selection process had let to a strong genetic possibility of good beni at the front. The reverse, according to the author, applies to sumi.

I did not motivate my comment nor did I write more than a short sentence. I ended it with a 'confused' . Please see my comment in that context.

Predicting color development is not something anyone is really good at and I doubt that anyone on this forum is going to present a definitive answer to the question. I think contributors are going to share their experiences as they relate to yerrag's question and nothing concrete is going to come from it. That is Koi science as we know it
    More development has been focused on gosanke pairing and breeding. Less on others. I guess I will just have to keep my yamabuki and see how it goes. The last Yamabuki I had, which was this yamabuki's mom, also had a slight beni on her head. It eventally went away. It developed into a very beautiful yamabuki with a full kinrin on her body. With a full metallic body and wide girth, she was a sight to behold. I doubt this yamabuki will measure up to her mom as far as girth and size goes, but I think that tethering on whether a beni speck will hold or disappear isn't such a bad thing. It may even be a good thing when the bet of holding on pays off. The presence of the beni speck indicates the yamabuki is going to be a rich golden color rather than a pale golden color. With kinrin added, it becomes magnificent in its bling-blingness. A reddish tint to yellow makes the kinrin a richer gold. Without the reddish tint, the kinrin makes for a paler gold. A rich gold is 18k gold. A pale giold is 14k gold if you fancy gold jewelry. I don't, but I used to be in the color and printing trade.

Speaking of pairing, I'm thinking like a craxy breeder now and I'm holding on to a sansai white gosanke. She (I think) has a very strong conformation with wide girth and a large tail tube. She's never going to be on the show circuit for sure, but I'd like to pair her with a less refined (meaning large beni coverage with few steps, maybe just a straight hi) male kohaku that has good conformation. I read somewhere that the beni of offsprings will be an average of the parents' beni coverage, and I hope to use this knowledge in the hope of producing fry that would have 50-50 beni and shiroji. Out of this, getting more refined patterns could be a matter of chance, but I'm hoping my chances get better if the beni/shiroji is 50-50.

Just dreaming.