Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Pond Additives: Koi Keeper Therapy in a Bottle

MCA

Pond Additives: Koi Keeper Therapy in a Bottle

When you see folks talking about additives, look at the experience level of those using them. Are the crowd that has been doing koi keeping for 10+ years, have they spend major bucks on the pond system and koi, have they won major awards?

Pond additives are about financial therapy. New Keepers feel a need to do "something" and don't have the experience or education about koi to to know what to do. So the additive vendors give us a chance to feel better....for a price. We get to sacrifice our hard earned money. After all if something costs money,...the more the better.... it must be the right thing to do.

A better alternative is to spend the additive money on our own education. There are many good koi books available. There is the Koi Health Advisor program at AKCA. And the KOI organization has the Certified Koi Keeper program. Of just hang in with the hobby for 15-20 years. Experience is the best teacher. It should be as it is the most expensive.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

...I've been seeing a lot of 'it's getting to be Spring, so I'll be adding ______' threads lately. Most of the stuff folks chat about won't hurt anything but their wallet (and amount of leisure time), so I've pretty much given up challenging the notion. I admit that sometimes I can't restrain myself. Recently, I've been reading posts about how adding salt in the Spring prevents bacterial infections, adding one brand or another of bacteria in a bottle will get the bio-filter up to speed .... next is treatment with MG/F before the parasites get going. At least I'm not seeing posts about adding barley straw extract as a string algae preventive. I guess that one has died out. Or, maybe it resurrects in a few weeks? LOL.

MCA
    The only thing to do with barley around a pond is sit back, relax, and have a good single malt. To your good health!

Sansai
    I think the biggest bullsh1t lb for pound is clay.

Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    ...I've been seeing a lot of 'it's getting to be Spring, so I'll be adding ______' threads lately. Most of the stuff folks chat about won't hurt anything but their wallet (and amount of leisure time), so I've pretty much given up challenging the notion. I admit that sometimes I can't restrain myself. Recently, I've been reading posts about how adding salt in the Spring prevents bacterial infections, adding one brand or another of bacteria in a bottle will get the bio-filter up to speed .... next is treatment with MG/F before the parasites get going. At least I'm not seeing posts about adding barley straw extract as a string algae preventive. I guess that one has died out. Or, maybe it resurrects in a few weeks? LOL.
    Mike, you're good. Just today I saw the barley bails talked about on a FB group! But seriously Mike, don't you know, barley and clay is out and PP is the "in" thing now. Next up- vodka!

LOL... Yes, I had already forgotten about vodka!

For those not aware.... it came up a few weeks ago on another board. Some decades ago, reef aquarium keepers learned a technique for minimizing algae growth. Algae is a complete negative in reef aquaria. The idea was to super-cultivate bacteria by adding tiny amounts of vodka, a rich source of carbon. If properly and carefully done, bacteria bloom, consuming phosphates and other necessaries for algae growth. Those who did not use it precisely right suffered mightily from cloudy water and deaths. But, it can work when done with precision, which involves constant water testing to determine each dose. Someone had the idea that ponds could be rid of nitrate and algae by adding vodka because they had added some and tested zero nitrate in their pond. Later they found the bio-filter was not functioning well. They had ammonia and nitrite issues. (No elimination of algae reported.) Reef aquaria are often free of fish or have just a couple of small fish to give interest. The corals grown primarily rely on photosynthesis. So, water quality in the reef aquarium is always excellent by koi hobby standards, even if the slightest level of contamination is considered a catastrophe by reef hobby standards. The notion that adding a little vodka would eliminate phosphates and nitrate production in a koi pond ignores the fundamentals of both the reef aquarium and koikeeping. By simply being alive, an unfed single mature koi produces more ammonia that a gazillion gallon reef aquarium experiences. The koi hobby has borrowed successfully from other aquatic hobbies, but probably the greatest source of borrowed technology is the sewage treatment industry. The reason is simple. As a T-shirt Steve Childers used to wear said... 'My hobby is managing fish poop' (or something like that.)