Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Brian
  • 2 Post By MCA
  • 1 Post By Brian

Thread: Starting on a new mud pond

Starting on a new mud pond

Bulldozer arrived and we're on the job already!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting on a new mud pond-img_2039.jpg   Starting on a new mud pond-img_2042.jpg  
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Hi Brian I had a question, I saw the fallowing photo from Takigawa farm preparing fry mud pond. why they do this? what is the benefit of drying and plowing by tractor. is there and other thing done for better growing fries? something like mineralizing, I saw that after drying mud ponds applying Lime to making more healthy environment for new hatched fries.
    What other things is necessary to done foe making mud ponds more productive(live foods) and better healthy environment for fries.

Starting on a new mud pond-photo_2017-04-15_13-58-42.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Hi Brian I had a question, I saw the fallowing photo from Takigawa farm preparing fry mud pond. why they do this? what is the benefit of drying and plowing by tractor. is there and other thing done for better growing fries? something like mineralizing, I saw that after drying mud ponds applying Lime to making more healthy environment for new hatched fries.
    What other things is necessary to done foe making mud ponds more productive(live foods) and better healthy environment for fries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2017-04-15_13-58-42.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	41305

Hi Reza,

They're turning over the soil to let it air out and "fluff" up a bit to better hold the lime when they spread it. The lime serves a few purposes, the first being that it disinfects the soil making a safer environment for the fry. It also provides a buffer against acidic soil. Much of the land that became mud pond space was once used for rice (or other) farming and has become acidic through leaching. Lime is also added sometimes after heavy rains to keep the pH of the water slightly alkaline.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hi Reza,

They're turning over the soil to let it air out and "fluff" up a bit to better hold the lime when they spread it. The lime serves a few purposes, the first being that it disinfects the soil making a safer environment for the fry. It also provides a buffer against acidic soil. Much of the land that became mud pond space was once used for rice (or other) farming and has become acidic through leaching. Lime is also added sometimes after heavy rains to keep the pH of the water slightly alkaline.
    Is there any other things should be done for preparing mud pond for releasing fries?

Sansai
    Hi Reza,

Would there be a liner or maybe a monty/clay below the soil we see being prepared?

If not why does the water not drain away?

An abundance of water keeping it topped up?

Garfield.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    Would there be a liner or maybe a monty/clay below the soil we see being prepared?

If not why does the water not drain away?

An abundance of water keeping it topped up?

Garfield.
    There's plenty of clay underneath. We just got to it at the end of the day yesterday. There's one corner that's a little more sandy, so we'll move some excess clay over there to get it nice and sealed up. I've attached some photos of the clay we struck, but there is much more than that down there.

Starting on a new mud pond-img_2052.jpgStarting on a new mud pond-img_2053.jpgStarting on a new mud pond-img_2068.jpg
    coolwon and Reza like this.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

MCA
    Brian,

I know several folks with mud ponds that will till in some manure to fuel the growth of all sorts of plant and micro animals that the fry will feed on. They also till in lime as needed.
    Brian and ricshaw like this.

End of day 1. Excavator will be back today to go deeper and try to dress up the berms. Soil is a bit wet, so may have to dress the berms after they've dried a bit.

Starting on a new mud pond-img_2078.jpg
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Brian,

I know several folks with mud ponds that will till in some manure to fuel the growth of all sorts of plant and micro animals that the fry will feed on. They also till in lime as needed.
    We keep chickens, so we're good with the manure part. Have already done some test seeding in a different area and have a culture of daphnia going to speed the process up once I have fry from the first spawning ready to go in.
    MCA likes this.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

We keep chickens, so we're good with the manure part. Have already done some test seeding in a different area and have a culture of daphnia going to speed the process up once I have fry from the first spawning ready to go in.
    I saw that breeders (especially carp breeders) using cattle manure instead of chicken manure. However chicken manure contains more protein and introducing more phosphorus and nitrogen compounds into culture, but also because of contains antibiotics therefore most breeders using cattle manure to be in safe side.