Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alexandre

Thread: Question about the size of the corridor part of my pond and a big fish

Question about the size of the corridor part of my pond and a big fish

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy a new fish for my koi pond : it's a female Hi utsuri now 5sai, 65cm, from marusei. She is really stunning and is still at the dealer's personnal pond (10m3). Well, there's just a little problem, (it's not the money) but ironiclly a part of my own pond. Mine is 12m3 (so bigger than the dealer's one) but there's a part which is ''corridor'' style ant it worries me. The entry to the corridor is 71cm large; then it becomes progressivly 86cm and finally 1,10 m at the end. So the last part is good but I think the first one is quite small for big koi (interrested in swimming). Basically it wasn't designed in this way but the floor moved a bit and caused this deformation. There's also a small fountain part which is 75cm ; my koi usually don't go there massively but sometimes they search food because it's full of round stones and plants. The depht is in this zone from 54 cm to 49cm and represents 2m3. The principal part of the pond is 10m3 and there's here no problem. There's of course, a good filtration for 7 fish, a lagunage, a lot of oxygenation, ozone, and it's heated during winter. So, do you think it's good for that kind of fish ? I have to precise that he didn't grew a lot at the dealer, because when it arrived 3 years ago as a nisai, the fish was +/- 60cm.

Here is an old pictureQuestion about the size of the corridor part of my pond and a big fish-20170325_082708.jpg

65cm size is not big at all. Ive seen bigger koi with narrow ponds before.

Tosai
    You have an awesome looking pond.

I have a narrow shallow section in my nursery pond and I find that some fish just ignore it. It is the kind of thing that happens when water garden designers build koi ponds.

If you have enough space elsewhere in the pond (which you seem to have) I do not see a problem.

Certain shapes and shallow sections present risks for injury. You have rocks at the pond bottom, so scraping against the bottom should be less of a risk. The narrow section is certainly not ideal, but if you want my advice - do not let it stop you from enjoying your pond and your fish. And from buying whatever fish you think will make the hobby more enjoyable to you. Most ponds have something about them that can or should be improved.

Tosai
    Forgot to mention - you do not seem to have a net over the pond? Other than to protect against predators, it is a good idea to net the pond for at least the first week after introducing new fish. New arrivals have a way of jumping out the water.

Nothing to worry about. I have seen similar ponds. The koi have no problems. ....Just don't feed her so much that she becomes 70cm wide!

Ok, thank you I like these answers.
    Carp bred in my region are not very big or take a lot of years to grow because of the cold climate, it's the same for my dealer. The fish arrived as a nisai +/- 60 cm and is now (3years later) 65cm so I don't think it's gonna become huge (stunted growth ?), here is a picture. Whatsoever it sounds good, I'll just have to begin negociations. I also plan to rebuild my pond in a few years for the hapiness of my koi but I can't for the moment. Though I made it like a traditionnal japanese one so they are not desoriented LOL.
    Question about the size of the corridor part of my pond and a big fish-20170415_202238.jpgQuestion about the size of the corridor part of my pond and a big fish-17968591_350565028679312_321775602_o.jpg
    Question about the size of the corridor part of my pond and a big fish-img-7307.jpg

That is a nice Hi Utsuri.

Its hard to say if the Hi utsuri is stunted already. If the other koi in the same pond where the Hi utsuri was places was growing and Hiutsuri isnt then its not good news. However sometimes one never knows. I once bought a nisai at just 29Cm which was left at the dealers pond for 10 months. Its now aroud 79cm and its a male with a female body. He has won various koi awards over the year. He is the only male koi that I keep.

Sansai
    Lovely PLACID pond.

Placid fish in a placid mood. Moving to suit the water conditions.

I would think that the water needs some well placed air stones to turn over the surface water and improve the interface with the atmosphere.

Raise the oxygen content.

Lively fish movement, more food, better growth.

Garfield

There's 12 air stones in the pond, the lagunage and the filters but also 3 waterfalls. I've cut them for the picture. There's also an ozone device.
    coolwon likes this.