Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concrete Pond and its standards, who knows?

Concrete Pond and its standards, who knows?

Dear Koi-Bito members:

I would like to get some basic information about Concrete Ponds requirements such as preferred size and shape, required drains and count of drains, depth, placement, preferred waterfall placement and percentage or rate for pond. and any important things that before starting should know.

Thanks

MCA
    Be careful with the word "standards". That implies some government or professional organization issuing rules. No such thing in koi pond systems. But in some countries, koi ponds may have to be build by swimming pool codes.

So I gather what you want are ideas that would be in the category of "best practices".

Rectangular shape with ratio of 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 ......etc.
    flat floor with one drain centered in each of the 1:1 sections of the floor.
    two skimmers in the corners of one of the short walls (ideally set at 45 degrees)
    shower filter (not a waterfall) on short wall that does not have the skimmers
    depth 2-3 meters (deeper than 3 meters can make netting difficult)
    4" or 110mm pipe from drains and skimmers to filter pit
    turnover of pond (all water through filters) target is once an hour. Less is always better. For huge ponds a once an hour turnover rate may be impractical.
    Semi-raised design with walls around .75meter above ground providing seating space. Also the semi-raised design brings the koi closer to your eye....and net.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Be careful with the word "standards". That implies some government or professional organization issuing rules. No such thing in koi pond systems. But in some countries, koi ponds may have to be build by swimming pool codes.

So I gather what you want are ideas that would be in the category of "best practices".

two skimmers in the corners of one of the short walls (ideally set at 45 degrees)
    turnover of pond (all water through filters) target is once an hour. Less is always better. For huge ponds a once an hour turnover rate may be impractical.
    Semi-raised design with walls around .75meter above ground providing seating space. Also the semi-raised design brings the koi closer to your eye....and net.
    You have only described your concrete pond. hehe. I agree though there is no standard except build the best one you can afford that is in consideration of cost, durability, space limitation, objective in the hobby and visual appeal and practicality of future maintainance.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Dear Koi-Bito members:

I would like to get some basic information about Concrete Ponds requirements such as preferred size and shape, required drains and count of drains, depth, placement, preferred waterfall placement and percentage or rate for pond. and any important things that before starting should know.

Thanks
    Hi Reza,

Do they build gunite shell type swimming pools in Tehran?

Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    Hi Reza,

Do they build gunite shell type swimming pools in Tehran?

Garfield
    Traditionally most of Iranian’s house already had small shallow ponds/pools called “Howz” which was not for swimming. They keep red and black common goldfishes there. These howz's are for over hundreds of year’s Iranian houses and gardens architecture. Modern cities with complex buildings and apartments destroyed this part of houses. Only they are available in some old houses around the cities or villages. New houses replaced ponds with swimming pools or some times as you said with “gunite shell type swimming pools”. Recently these useless pools are converting to koi keeping ponds some of these pools also has not even a bottom drain and filters are feeding by one or more pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post

Thanks for your post, what I mean from word of “standard” is those Do's and don'ts that should be respected.

I have bumped up the old thread on HenryC's pond build. It is the best designed hobbyist pond of it's size that I have personally observed and can vouch it continues to perform superbly. The one negative for me, but not necessarily for others, is the 8-foot depth. It had to be that deep to get the volume desired. I would not go deeper than 6 feet for personal convenience reasons. But, I must say my own pond would be better if I had gone deeper rather than wider to get the desired volume. A wide pond makes catching fish a challenge, which is a much more frequent issue than the rare occasions of needing to remove something that fell into the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I have bumped up the old thread on HenryC's pond build. It is the best designed hobbyist pond of it's size that I have personally observed and can vouch it continues to perform superbly. The one negative for me, but not necessarily for others, is the 8-foot depth. It had to be that deep to get the volume desired. I would not go deeper than 6 feet for personal convenience reasons. But, I must say my own pond would be better if I had gone deeper rather than wider to get the desired volume. A wide pond makes catching fish a challenge, which is a much more frequent issue than the rare occasions of needing to remove something that fell into the pond.
    As long as the width is not more than 4 meters and there is room around the pond, catching koi is not a problem even if its 15 meters in length. My newer pond is just 4 feet on the sides sloping down to 5 ft in the center. My old smaller surface area pond was 6 ft deep. Modern ponds by serious hobbyist here usually are now made with an average depth of 5ft. At 7 ft depth, its very difficult to oxygenate the pond. I know some hobbyist that intentionally reduced the depth of their pond and volume which then gave better results.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Nodded off again,sorry.

Garfield

you would like to see fallowing video:

I would be happy to know your Ideas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast