Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Chemical Treatment Impact On Nitrifiers

  1. #11
    Sansai
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    155

    Angry

    CHEMICAL Treatment Impact on Nitrifiers

    I think the use of FMG is well covered in the many koi health books available.

    But what does this topic have to do with potentially knocking back the bacteria population?[/QUOTE]



    Give up your CAUSTIC REMARKS. It's totally uncalled for on the forums

    It gave two GENTLEMAN a chance to comment on the FMG effect on NITRIFIERS and fish in the pond system.

    Garfield

  2. #12
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post

    I analyzed the seneye data of the OP. I was wondering why he needed to put a low dose PP when hia readings of ammonia was perfect, his PH was stable and his maintenance was quite good. While low dose PP will probably removed some DOC, it does setback bacteria population both good and bad. It is my understanding if you have a good system where the good bacteria outcompetes the bad bacteria then what is the logic in pushing back the good bacteria population?
    In this instance (as Sacicu now knows from postings on the other board), PP was being used to control string algae. The string algae regularly returned, so low doses of PP were regularly applied.

    This raises the question of when/whether it is sound practice to use chemical controls for algae issues. It seems to me from postings over the years that controlling algae chemically is the practice most likely to result in the koi being over-exposed to harsh chemicals. As negative as I consider prophylactic use of parasite treatments, at least folks generally do that only a few times per year. Algae treatment often becomes a regular practice. There are those who want their ponds to look like swimming pools with no algae at all, or at least none whatsoever covering the pretty rocks of the waterfall. IMO, these extremists should not be keeping fish.... and in time the fish die and so they don't. Greenwater algae are best controlled through maximizing bio-filtration and using UV. There is no justification for using chemicals unless some extreme emergency arises. String algae causes no harm to the fish unless it blocks filters, pumps or drains. It is mostly an aesthetic issue. If a super-abundance causes blockage issues a chemical treatment is arguably justified. (I just mechanically remove and bear with the outbreak, which in my pond has never lasted more than a few weeks... a miserable few weeks, I admit.) The chemical of choice in recent years is hydrogen peroxide. Directions for use can be found on the boards. My suggestion is to use about half of what gets recommended and then use again if necessary. HP definitely affects the biofilm adversely.

    If there is no blockage greater than you can deal with but the aesthetics are too much for your enjoyment, then focus on retarding growth through shading. Most string algae outbreaks follow a seasonal cycle (which varies in different geographic/climatic areas) and resolve on their own. The aesthetics may bother you, but can you accept it for just a few weeks? If so, grin and bear it. Streams connected to ponds are often reported to have string algae issues. The shallow water, constant current and sun exposure makes streams ideal habitat. If a person feels compelled to chemically control algae in a stream, then I'd suggest turning off the flow and treating the stream in isolation.... hopefully the stream was designed so it can be isolated. If the stream cannot be isolated, consider turning off the flow and covering the stream bottom with salt. Salt crystals will kill the algae they land on, as will intense salt concentration in the stream water... just don't use so much that it causes an improper salt level in the pond when the flow is turned on. If the stream is one that connects ponds at two different elevations, it will often go dry if the flow is turned off. If that is the case, then all that is needed is to turn off the flow when the sun is directly over the stream. Let the algae sun dry for a few hours. It will not suddenly disappear, but much will be killed and gradually slough off. Do this sun drying every other week during 'string algae season' and the stream will end up with little algae.....Be sure to keep bio-media aerated or the biofilm will be damaged. Some folks who say they never have algae issues in their stream are doing this unintentionally every week when they turn off the flow for an hour or two as part of their maintenance routine.

    Altogether, severe string algae problems may justify use of chemicals in some circumstances, but try to minimize the amount, the time exposure and the frequency.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 04:36 AM
  2. Course of treatment?
    By rider in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
  3. Bio & Chemical filtration help.
    By fishofexcellence in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 10:16 AM
  4. Parasite treatment
    By Gotokeys in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-17-2009, 07:40 PM
  5. Feeding during PP Treatment
    By gcuss in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com