Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Unexpected Spawning, what should We do?

Unexpected Spawning, what should We do?

Hello Everyone,

Today I got a call from a friend who said his kois are spawned, these fishes are about 20 ~25 centimeter and are not grow well in aquarium (he pitted to them and bought from shop) and moved them in to a 2500 litters pre-formed Geomembrane pool and after 2 days he saw that some of these 26~28 months fishes are spawning.

what he should do now? some of them may also spawned next days.

These fishes are not grow well is it possible in new place they grow and get bigger?

how can help to these poor fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Today I got a call from a friend who said his kois are spawned, these fishes are about 20 ~25 centimeter and are not grow well in aquarium (he pitted to them and bought from shop) and moved them in to a 2500 litters pre-formed Geomembrane pool and after 2 days he saw that some of these 26~28 months fishes are spawning.

These fishes are not grow well is it possible in new place they grow and get bigger?

If he wishes to stop spawning and prevent a fungi episode, malachite green dosing would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Well, he has the option to feed these babies to his koi, sell them or just raise some of them.

What he was planning was to raise these kois. As I know him he has not facility to breeding at this time. He mostly thinking how to make them 45cm.

MCA
    post deleted

This is firist time that I see 20 ~25 cm koi spawning. Before this I was thinking that at least koi should be over 30 cm for spawning, and sexual organs and maturation will be after 2 years and over 25 cm length.

They were the right age and the new water triggered the spawning. This shows that stunted size does not affect maturation!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    They were the right age and the new water triggered the spawning. This shows that stunted size does not affect maturation!
    Thanks for everyone, regarding to those fishes size age and early keeping, is it possible they grow more and how?

Yes, they can grow more if kept in better conditions... more room, regular water changes to keep hormones diluted, plenty of food and temperatures above 70F (21C). They may not reach their genetic potential at this point, but will still grow even if they only had a genetic potential to be comparatively small. It seems to me that sexual maturity impacts the growth of males more than females. So, I would guess the male(s) will fall further short of their genetic potential than the females will, but we do not know what that potential would have been. There is a sub-set of the koi hobby in Japan that focuses on keeping koi small... 'bonsai koi'. I recall articles discussing the importance of maintaining a limited feeding program to keep these dwarfed koi small enough to still be considered eligible to compete.