Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Crooked Body - Ouch!

Crooked Body - Ouch!

Just sharing my misfortune of having a small pond and not taking the steps to expanding to larger facilities for my koi. I really wish I bit the bullet and just went BIG pond.

I have been successful in getting good growth in my small ponds, but one of my favorite females (my avatar) @30+inches has recently developed a crooked body. Sadly with her deformed body, she has loss some girth and weight. She is starting to look like she was spawned, but she has not been. I got her as sansai and grew her well over 3+ years I have her, but this year (2017), she got crooked. Do they hurt with crooked bodies? I know I would be hurting?

Sorry to hear about the news of your showa. However, I am unsure how your pond side had to do with the koi body getting bent? What is the dimension of your pond and stocking levels?

Small 2400 gallon pond only 34 inches deep. I have 10 koi between 24" and 30". So only 200 gallons per koi. Tight quarters. I have my QT with a few koi between 16"-24". I just figured tight quarters does not allow good growing and "things" will end up happening...I know they all eat well and have pretty good water throughout the year, so it is either the space or genetics. I just figure space is usually always the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    Small 2400 gallon pond only 34 inches deep. I have 10 koi between 24" and 30". So only 200 gallons per koi. Tight quarters. I have my QT with a few koi between 16"-24". I just figured tight quarters does not allow good growing and "things" will end up happening...I know they all eat well and have pretty good water throughout the year, so it is either the space or genetics. I just figure space is usually always the culprit.
    I do not think it has to do with the size of the pond that caused it to get bent unless you have a strong circulating current or lack the water change. I know hobbyist with same volume of yours that can grow jumbo gosanke without any crooked body. I also know of hobbyist with gigantic ponds with koi getting bent bodies. It could be lots of reason such as genetics (something like scoliosis in humans) , imbalance development of eggs, tumor, effects of certain medication, electrical surge, nutritient deficiency, effects of spawning or attempt of male to chase females, and just old age.

Sansai
    Just sharing my misfortune of having a small pond and not taking the steps to expanding to larger facilities for my koi. I really wish I bit the bullet and just went BIG pond.

I have been successful in getting good growth in my small ponds, but one of my favorite females (my avatar) @30+inches has recently developed a crooked body. Sadly with her deformed body, she has loss some girth and weight. She is starting to look like she was spawned, but she has not been. I got her as sansai and grew her well over 3+ years I have her, but this year (2017), she got crooked. Do they hurt with crooked bodies? I know I would be hurting?
    Did the crookedness occur overnight or a progression over time?

Garfield

Do they hurt with crooked bodies? I know I would be hurting?
    I do not think so. My old Hariwake has had a crooked body for several years now. (Perhaps a lightning strike nearby??) She gets along fine and behaves normally... except for her swimming movement (definitely not graceful). Still, she schools with the others and seems 'happy'. If it was any other fish, I'd likely get rid of it.