Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Can a particular koi food cause tumours in koi?

Can a particular koi food cause tumours in koi?

Recently a fellow serious hobbyist I knew asked my opinion with regards to a Dainichi showa if I noticed any problem already. I told him that it could be signs of possible tumour. He then mentioned that if that is the case then that would be the 2nd time such tumour happened to him in his short 3 years he had been feeding a particular brand of koi food. I told him that his experience was consistent with the experience of other serious hobbyist who tried using said such brand for more than one year. I had no proof but the circumstancial observation over a six year with different hobbyists using said brand of koi food is there. Hobbyist who then shifted to another brand encounteres rare incidence of tumour or cyst developing.

Our discussion then shifted on the possible ingredient of that particular koi food (made in China) that is causing possibly causing long term damage to the internal of the koi.
    I then told him that of all the koi food brand, this particular koi food brand is very potent in terms of not only bulking and growing koi, the koi appetite are great when using this brand and the koi beni really become red quickly while the water does not become cloudy. In short, it seems like a perfect koi food with an very good price as compared to the likes of Saki Hikari.

My suspect is the addition of synthetic asthaxamine which is popular in many aquaculture feed that is causing long term problems.

I am agree with you about Chinese food over 120%. I dont know what is asthaxamine, but today most of Astaxanthin which is used in aquaculture is from petrochemical sources. Unfortunately humans destroyed everything. fish meal is used for fish food is making sea resources, which is impacted by humans activities by products, Lead and Mercury compounds.over the time these are concentrate in fish body. also in cities in every rain brings and dissolve more heavy metals into water.

Recently in Tehran biologists had a research to measuring the amount of heavy metals in earthworms, free birds drops and river fishes. they found every live creature has some to damage enough heavy metals in its body, or wastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    I am agree with you about Chinese food over 120%. I dont know what is asthaxamine, but today most of Astaxanthin which is used in aquaculture is from petrochemical sources. Unfortunately humans destroyed everything. fish meal is used for fish food is making sea resources, which is impacted by humans activities by products, Lead and Mercury compounds.over the time these are concentrate in fish body. also in cities in every rain brings and dissolve more heavy metals into water.

Recently in Tehran biologists had a research to measuring the amount of heavy metals in earthworms, free birds drops and river fishes. they found every live creature has some to damage enough heavy metals in its body, or wastes.
    I agree with you on this. I was actually once thinking of having different brands of koi food tested for heavy metal content. It would be interesting to see the results. Personally I think each koi food brand should show a heavy metal test on their food. For now, all they show is crude protein, fat, ash, moisture analysis.

sorry about the wrong spelling. it should have read.asthaxatin

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    I agree with you on this. I was actually once thinking of having different brands of koi food tested for heavy metal content. It would be interesting to see the results. Personally I think each koi food brand should show a heavy metal test on their food. For now, all they show is crude protein, fat, ash, moisture analysis.

sorry about the wrong spelling. it should have read.asthaxatin
    They never do this. I'm personally using 2 or 3 good brands in fish diet and suggest to my friends this regime. In my country only recently European brands are available: Tropical (Poland), Ocean Nutrition(Belgium), Aquabio(Belgium), Karlie Flamingo(Belgium), vitakraft(Germany), prodac(Italy), azoo, optimum and several Chines brands.

several local brands which producing carp food also didn't note HM on their labes. I called them they had no plan to measure it.

I almost tested 4 of them but none of them mentioned anything about heavy metals. I personally trust to Belgium and Germany brands. Aquabio (trout starter) is very effective for koi starter the interesting thing is about this food is it's high FCR and very low wastes. but koi foods are not so satisfied by breeders and users so much. Vitakraft is very expensive but most of users satisfied the shiny color of their fish after a period of use. but it is very bad smelling and after several time washing hands still smelling. Ocean Nutrition is also looking good in growth but so expensive. Tropical is moderated cost but moderated effect on fish growth and color also affect on water color after using several times. I am using Spirulina food of tropical with Ocean Nutrition and Aquabio wheatgerm in daily diet.

My fishes are all time hungry and looking they are fasted for a year and aggressively eating foods.

Whether or not the particular food manufactured in China caused the tumors, the fact that those using the food have experienced a higher than normal rate of tumors certainly would cause me to avoid that food. There are plenty of other foods. I do not think astaxanthin would cause cancers. It gets promoted as an anti-oxidant that reduces cancer risk. But, an artificial astaxanthin from petroleum is a different matter. Ever since the poisonous baby formula scandal several years ago, there have been efforts in China to clean up the human food industry. But, I see news items from time to time that the better educated Chinese public still does not trust domestically produced prepared foods. No reason to think fish food should be trusted.

Reza: I have seen several of the brand names you mention in magazine ads, but am not familiar with most of the koi foods. Ocean Nutrition is a respected brand in the U.S. for tropical fish hobbyists, but their koi food is not seen much. At one time the Azoo koi food available in the U.S. was quite good. It was less expensive than comparable products. I was told that Taiwan subsidized it's export. Then the price went up substantially and it disappeared from many of the major internet sellers' websites. Then it came back in different packaging and at a moderate price, but was not the same formulation. I have not used it for 15 or more years, so I have no idea what it is like today. Currently it is available at prices about one-third of standard Hikari koi food prices. It has reasonable listed ingredients and nutritional analysis.... but I have learned that foods with similar nutrition analyses do not necessarily perform the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Whether or not the particular food manufactured in China caused the tumors, the fact that those using the food have experienced a higher than normal rate of tumors certainly would cause me to avoid that food. There are plenty of other foods. I do not think astaxanthin would cause cancers. It gets promoted as an anti-oxidant that reduces cancer risk. But, an artificial astaxanthin from petroleum is a different matter. Ever since the poisonous baby formula scandal several years ago, there have been efforts in China to clean up the human food industry. But, I see news items from time to time that the better educated Chinese public still does not trust domestically produced prepared foods. No reason to think fish food should be trusted.

Reza: I have seen several of the brand names you mention in magazine ads, but am not familiar with most of the koi foods. Ocean Nutrition is a respected brand in the U.S. for tropical fish hobbyists, but their koi food is not seen much. At one time the Azoo koi food available in the U.S. was quite good. It was less expensive than comparable products. I was told that Taiwan subsidized it's export. Then the price went up substantially and it disappeared from many of the major internet sellers' websites. Then it came back in different packaging and at a moderate price, but was not the same formulation. I have not used it for 15 or more years, so I have no idea what it is like today. Currently it is available at prices about one-third of standard Hikari koi food prices. It has reasonable listed ingredients and nutritional analysis.... but I have learned that foods with similar nutrition analyses do not necessarily perform the same.
    China people eating everything if its digestible by their body, Now what is this koi food made from that they couldn't eat.???!!!

These foods are not so professionally koi foods. These foods was made in pet entertainment (I don't know better name) companies. Only Aquabio in Belgium is professional aquaculture food producer. one more important thing that I find it lately is that fish Fresh and newly produced food is much better. Even keeping food in cool dry place has better quality than new food which is kept in bad conditions.

Ocean Nutrition is expensive but Personally I'm trusting to European brands instead of East Asian or local brands.