Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Momotaro First Auction: October 2, 2017

Momotaro First Auction: October 2, 2017

Momotaro has once again staked out its spot on the koi calendar ahead of everyone:

Momotaro Koi Farm 1th Auction of 2017
    We will have our first auction of the season on Monday October 2nd
    From 1:00 p.m. and Tuesday October 3rd From 10:00 a.m.
    This auction will feature high class tosai , nisai and sansai koi.
    When we have more details we will update this homepage.
    Please come back for more information in the coming weeks.
    We look forward to seeing everybody this Autumn.

This auction is a dealer auction.
    Hobbiests should contact a Momotaro Koi dealer for more information on bidding.
    We look forward to seeing everyone at our auction in October!

The heat and humidity have brought the summer doldrums to Orlando. Time to look forward to the excitement of the harvest season.

The auction fish are posted. Momotaro koi

As always, this is an impressive group of koi. The thing that stands out the most to me is the continuing progress with the Sanke in blending the traits seen in SFF's Sanke with the Matsunosuke traits that originally made Momotaro notable in breeding Sanke. Overall, there is more of the SFF look to the Sanke, but in several individuals you can see body lines that borrow heavily from Matsunosuke. I consider this a positive development. I am not as entranced by SFF's blimps as many others are. For me the ideal Sanke would have an intermediate body form... enough bulk and width to be impressive, while having a long look that is agile when swimming. IMO, the blimps look best in a show tank where their waddling swim movement is not seen. The Matsunosuke body has a stiffness to it which adds to speed on long glides through the water, but does not show as well. In my mind an intermediate body that allows graceful movement with impressive bulk and length would be ideal. Some of these Sanke appear to have the potential to get closer to that ideal. But, accomplishing that body with the superior beni SFF has established has proved to be a difficult combination. There is progress here. To appreciate the diversity of body lines, just go through the Momoko Nisai.

Putting aside analytics, I have to say that Sanke #36, a sansai, has stolen my heart. Her pattern makes me ignore the tiny shortcomings.

Showa remain what many people look for at Momotaro. The Lion Queen legacy lives on. Some eye-catching patterns are among the Nisai, but sansai Showa #29 is special eye candy. Check out Mako Showa 156 for something close to a Sanke in Showa garb... is the beni really like that? I am a bit disappointed, however, that Showa lacking motoguru, or having weak/unbalanced motoguru, are given prominence by being in the first auction of the season. I accept that Sanke-like traits need to be brought out in Showa to improve pigments and body form, but for me motoguru is key to the power of Showa. I think breeders and judges have a responsibility to preserve the core of each variety. I do not like seeing progress with body and pigment being given such weight that the essence of Showa gets lost. Sometimes I think the mantra about pattern being least important can fog the brain. Showa and Sanke are tricolor koi whose essential differences come down to pattern. If breeders and judges do not hold firm, the muddled middle will prevail... and I see some of that in this auction.

Enough of that.... Enjoy the beauties anyway.

#246! Mike which fish would you say exemplify the SSF and Matsunosuke bodylines?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The auction fish are posted. Momotaro koi

As always, this is an impressive group of koi. The thing that stands out the most to me is the continuing progress with the Sanke in blending the traits seen in SFF's Sanke with the Matsunosuke traits that originally made Momotaro notable in breeding Sanke. Overall, there is more of the SFF look to the Sanke, but in several individuals you can see body lines that borrow heavily from Matsunosuke. I consider this a positive development. I am not as entranced by SFF's blimps as many others are. For me the ideal Sanke would have an intermediate body form... enough bulk and width to be impressive, while having a long look that is agile when swimming. IMO, the blimps look best in a show tank where their waddling swim movement is not seen. The Matsunosuke body has a stiffness to it which adds to speed on long glides through the water, but does not show as well. In my mind an intermediate body that allows graceful movement with impressive bulk and length would be ideal. Some of these Sanke appear to have the potential to get closer to that ideal. But, accomplishing that body with the superior beni SFF has established has proved to be a difficult combination. There is progress here. To appreciate the diversity of body lines, just go through the Momoko Nisai.

Putting aside analytics, I have to say that Sanke #36, a sansai, has stolen my heart. Her pattern makes me ignore the tiny shortcomings.

Showa remain what many people look for at Momotaro. The Lion Queen legacy lives on. Some eye-catching patterns are among the Nisai, but sansai Showa #29 is special eye candy. Check out Mako Showa 156 for something close to a Sanke in Showa garb... is the beni really like that? I am a bit disappointed, however, that Showa lacking motoguru, or having weak/unbalanced motoguru, are given prominence by being in the first auction of the season. I accept that Sanke-like traits need to be brought out in Showa to improve pigments and body form, but for me motoguru is key to the power of Showa. I think breeders and judges have a responsibility to preserve the core of each variety. I do not like seeing progress with body and pigment being given such weight that the essence of Showa gets lost. Sometimes I think the mantra about pattern being least important can fog the brain. Showa and Sanke are tricolor koi whose essential differences come down to pattern. If breeders and judges do not hold firm, the muddled middle will prevail... and I see some of that in this auction.

Enough of that.... Enjoy the beauties anyway.
    I scrolled throughh the koi before reading your post. #29 was the one I stopped at and had a 20 minute coversation with myselfon it could be possible for the sumi to work around the beni. Gotta be something going on in the skin... what it is I have no idea. But I can't believe it is pattern luck and there is no other influence. IMO, has the Isa look to it Not sure who uses what genetics, but that's what I see. Very interesting koi.

Rob, #246 is one I would highlight as a blend of Matsunosuke-influenced body with SFF-influenced pigment. #242 has the Matsunosuke-influenced body. The 4yAmerican Dream group is neat to study. The Matsunosuke influence is clear in #239, while #235 is more blended and #238 has that thick SFF-style tail joint.

When folks look over these photos quickly as just a lot of pretty fish, they miss out. Whether or not there is any interest in parentage, etc., just study one trait, like the tail joints, and it makes you see how every koi is so very different.

LOL, Tim. ....When people talk about sumi wrapping up on Showa, #29 has it. A very traditional patterning that is hardly seen anymore. Will the sparkle of #29 make her come across as a mid-level GinRin? Or, will it enhance skin lustre?

Had several friends go to Momotaro (Fall 2016), They'll never go back. Even though they had a major foot in the door, most if not all the better Koi are saved for Auctions and are not 4-sale to Hobbyist visiting to purchase Koi.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Had several friends go to Momotaro (Fall 2016), They'll never go back. Even though they had a major foot in the door, most if not all the better Koi are saved for Auctions and are not 4-sale to Hobbyist visiting to purchase Koi.
    Bummer, I can see your friends points of view as well as the breeders.

I'm still waiting for one of those $25,000 Tosai or $50,000 Nisai to do well in a Major Koi Show.