Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MikeM
  • 1 Post By S. Stone

Thread: Irma

Sansai

Irma

Hi MikeM and all the folks in Irmas path.

If I am not mistaken Irma is heading your way.

Take care and stay safe.

Cheers,

Garfield.

Yep. Nothing left to do but hunker down and hope the winds do not take off the roof, etc. Even if the storm continues to track westward, winds will be as bad or worse than ever experienced. Power outages are expected statewide for days in areas less heavily hit and weeks in the hard hit areas. Generators are only good as long as gas is available to fuel them, but with power out the service station pumps won't work. So, pretty likely to be miserable and to have some fish losses. It's how it is. Just have to gut through it and be ready to focus on the clean-up.

Praying for all in the hurricane's path, be safe.

Power was lost for 48 hours, water really trashed by blown-in leaves and such, but no losses. The old gal who has a swim bladder problem that makes it difficult for her to submerge is looking especially worn, but even she made it through. Fish very subdued without air or filtration, but no gasping at surface. After 12 hours with power back on, the water remains a bit murky, but will be OK. Big water change this coming weekend to get it back in shape. Light feeding for the next week to allow bio to recover.

Best thing was the shade structure built over the pond. It held up. Branches and larger debris were prevented from landing in the pond. It will take some work to get branches, etc. off of it. Clean-up will take several weeks of weekends to get garden and pond back in shape, but nothing irretrievably lost.

Big kudos to Sequence pumps! The filter pit ended up with 6-8 inches of water when power outage prevented sump pump doing its job. Three Sequence pumps were sitting partially submerged in water for 48 hours. When power came back on, they were operating like normal before the sump pump had a chance to empty the filter pit. These are 12 year old pumps and still doing fine. One of the most reliable pieces of pond equipment I've had.
    HEADACHE6 and coolwon like this.

Nisai
    [QUOTE=MikeM;222102] Clean-up will take several weeks of weekends to get garden and pond back in shape, but nothing irretrievably lost.

Hi, Mike:

Glad to hear that you all in Central Florida came out semi-OK. Here in Northeast Florida, the storm had weakened considerably by the time it got here. It was mostly wind with some rain. I lost Clay Electric-provided electric power from about 3AM on Sunday until 6:00PM yesterday (Tuesday). I do have a “whole-house” stand-by generator that worked well up until noon, yesterday, when the poor over-worked thing ran low on engine oil and shut itself down. I added the oil and it was back up and running after several hours, when the power finally came back on. The pond water and filter maintenance and the koi’s continued health were the main reasons for getting the generator.

I also got a lot of leaves and small branches in the pond, which will take some time to clean up. All of the fish appear to be fine and the water temp is MUCH cooler – finally! (It’s been pushing 90 degrees for most of the summer.) I skipped my usual filter back-wash and clean-up chores this past weekend because of the storm, so I am grateful that we apparently won’t be seeing Jose “up close and personal”– the next hurricane in line out in the Atlantic!

Although I live only 3 blocks from Doctor’s Lake, which is an arm off the St. Johns River, I have been told that the elevation of the area where my home is located is over 30 feet above water level, so we stayed dry. Many, many streets and homes in this are still completely flooded from the storm surge, especially those around Black Creek, which is only about 5 or 6 miles from where I live! I’m told that the storm surge was due to the wind pushing and backing up all of the water from the ocean through all of the rivers, creeks, streams and other water ways in the area. I work with several people who were taken completely by surprise when the usually-dry ditch near their home filled and over-flowed with water, threatening their homes!

Shirley
    coolwon likes this.

Happy koi, happy Shirley!

My bio was set back by the power outage. The koi were acting a bit skittish, which got my attention. Treated the whole pond with Amquel+ last night. I've had it on hand for years just for such an occasion. Have enough to do another 12,500 gal. treatment if needed. I'll not be able to do water change, etc. until Saturday. By then hoping all the leaves on the pond bottom will be caught in settlement tank and leaf baskets. Most already captured that way. (Pond is too deep to effectively net them off the bottom. Just stirred them up when I tried.) There are few little twigs on the bottom. Will have to net them out. This morning, after having power for 36 hours, the water was clear. All murkiness gone.

There are still many without power in the area... and even worse in southern areas of Florida. With 90+ F temperatures, people and koi will be miserable until power is restored. No doubt those with crowded ponds will have heavy losses. My heart goes out to them.

We live in East Orlando, did not lose power, or phone, or MSNBC (I threw that in for Tim). 12" of rain, 2 out of 3 leaves blown off of the trees. A 2" layer of leaves in the pond the morning after, a lot of pond clean up, one of my 4" drains is still blocked. I've been on Admin Leave for the week (how about you Shirley?)! So we fared pretty well, not to say it wasn't sporty at times.

Nisai
    Hi, Rob

The Federal Building was closed (Admin Leave) on Friday, Monday & Tuesday, mostly because many streets surrounding downtown Jax were pretty much flooded. We were back up and running on Wednesday morning, but there are still many of our employees who are without power at their homes, especially in Clay County, San Marco and Riverside areas of NE Florida.

I'm still working on getting the branches and oak leaves out of the pond (pool). I also did an extensive job of back-washing the filter and re-filling with well water this weekend. My two "canary" fish -the tancho and the shiro utsuri- look much more comfortable (less red spots and red streaks) now that the filters are less "gunky".

Shirley