Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KHV: It really Is Still Around

KHV: It really Is Still Around

This announcement by Kodama should make clear that KHV is not a thing of the past:

To all our valued customers,

Happy New Year!!

I am very sorry, but we are starting the new year with some sad news.

Unfortunately on December 28, 2017, we confirmed that one of our shipments from Japan came with the virus called KHV. They were all in one pond.

We had to terminate koi in that one pond on our farm due to KHV.

We are currently working with the assistance of our vets—Dr. Chang and Dr. Girey—and state and federal vets. We are in the process of testing all the other ponds (80 ponds in total) and making sure our facility is clean.

We have contacted all the customers who received koi during December, who may have even the slightest chance of contamination.

We are in the process of contacting all customers who still have koi at our facility and are waiting to receive their shipments. We ask you kindly to wait until everything has been cleared.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 808-354-7031 or 808-354-7032.

Once again, I am very sorry; but until we are confident that everything is clear, as a precaution I have decided to postpone any auctions and koi shipments. It is a very difficult decision for our business, but I believe nothing is more important than the safety and health of our customers’ koi.

I appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter and your continued support.

Sincerely in KOI,

Taro Kodama
    President of Kodama Koi Farm

And, kudos to Kodama for being completely open about this. It's the right way to assure the outbreak is contained.

You will note that the shipment in question came from Japan. Despite all the safeguards practiced there, problems can occur. It has been a very, very long time since I've heard of an outbreak in Japan. The source is generally traceable to southeast Asian countries, Craig's List koi from unknown sources and backyard water gardens with koi from 'wherever'.

Very sad, but a great reminder the bio-security requires constant vigilance.

Mike, Hope all is Well.

The name of the Japanese Breeder these Koi came from hasn't come out, and may never, we'll see. What other dealers have purchased Koi from this same Breeder, and will we hear more.

Yes, that is the big question.

I have not heard of any announcements coming out of Japan, and no rumors either. It used to be that such matters were kept very private in Japan's professional koi community. After the SFF outbreak, things changed... at least somewhat. It cannot be kept private for long if dealers or hobbyists in Japan are affected. I expect dealers in the U.S. are trying to find out the source in order to know if they have an issue to address. When they learn, it will get around even though none will want to say anything in public that creates the impression they are trying to hurt competitors. If the silence continues for very long, it will be natural for people to begin wondering if the source was a breeder outside Japan.

Was Momotaro hit also or was it SFF I'm remembering by the wrong farm?

Both had it. The truth is that many breeders got it, but not all went public in the early days. The Momotaro outbreak was a shock at the time, but the SFF outbreak led to the death of Sakai-san. That IMO is what altered the whole approach of the industry.

Adopting bio-security also resulted in changing the high-end of the hobby. The practice of hobbyists summering their koi in breeders' mudponds, and wintering them in their home ponds ended. The high-end hobbyist no longer gets to maximize their koi in the mud, and enjoy them at home for 6+ months of the year. It was the practice of accepting hobbyists' koi for temporary keeping that is thought to have done more to spread the disease in Japan than any other factor. Now, once a koi leaves a breeder's control, is is gone forever.... with only very rare exceptions for fish that get a lot of testing over lengthy periods, such as one retrieved to become oyagoi. For the great bulk of hobbyists that change may not seem like a big deal. For the deep-pocketed hobbyist in Japan, it was huge. It meant they seldom saw the fish for which they had paid a substantial sum, or they would not see it reach full potential in the small ponds at home. I think we see the impact of that change in numerous subtle ways that add up.

Not sure the year that SFF & Momotaro had KHV, but pretty sure it was some time ago.

Personally, I don't have the negative thoughts toward a Dealer or Breeder that had KHV years ago as I do with someone more recent. This is because we know more about it today than 10, 12 or 15 yrs ago.

I have heard of another well-known importer of koi from Japan who has found KHV in a shipment from Japan, thus far limited to a single segregated quarantine system. The dealer has ceased sales until it is fully confirmed that only the one quarantine system is affected. Bio-secure quarantine procedures work! ...and this instance shows why they are so important. Dealers who adhere to bio-secure practices protect their customers and assure their business can overcome the inevitable occasion when KHV shows up. It has not been eradicated in Japan or anywhere else. Anyone who imports has to assume the day will come when it arrives in a shipment.

There is also a rumor of another instance involving a small scale operation, but I do not believe it has been confirmed.

It is the time of year in the U.S. when outbreaks of KHV (and costia mimicking KHV symptoms) usually occur. The brutal winter experienced in much of the northern half of the country may delay water warming to permissive temperatures. I am thinking this might be a worse year than we have seen for some time simply because at least two known importers have had outbreaks since January. We have not had that occur for some years. It has me wondering whether some Japanese farms have gotten lax in their bio-security.

It is great if a hobbyist has the quarantine facilities and patience to protect themselves from KHV. I continue to believe, however, that it is incumbent on dealers to do the quarantining. If the hobby is to thrive, people must feel safe in making purchases.... just like when you buy groceries without even thinking about botulism in every jar and can, or contamination of fresh veggies and meats. Nonetheless, we are still at the point where the hobbyist has to consider KHV. Every hobbyist should assure themselves that any koi they acquire is from a dealer who has bio-security in place and diligently adheres to bio-secure practices.

So we now have Dealer "A", Dealer "B" & maybe a Dealer "C" with KHV.

I wonder what's the chance the Dealers will Communicate to find out the Source, or maybe they already know.

Sansai
    The exporters must be slack or they would not be exporting their wares.

Be less critical of your fish and support your buddy breeder down the road for peace of mind.

Garfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast