Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeM

Thread: World Record Price???

World Record Price???

It is reported that at Sakai Fish Farm's auction a 101cm Kohaku went for approximately $1.7 million. She is #001 on the auction preview: http://sff-koi.com/en/auction_detail/ . Hopefully this remains available for a while. The report on her price is at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmh...able_polymer=1 . (Note: the labeling information differs, but the photo is of the same fish.) As far as public information is available, it would be a record auction price if true.

I have to wonder why a meter plus Kohaku was put up for auction. It only makes sense to me if SFF already had multiple dealers seeking to acquire the fish on behalf of different purchasers. Putting it up for auction would resolve the negotiations at the highest price.

Is she worth it? On one hand, the video at the auction preview site shows a body form which is certainly very good for a Kohaku over a meter in length, but hardly what I consider ideal. On the other, if price reflects rarity, she certainly is rare. Kohaku exceeding a meter in length and keeping such strong pigment development are rare to the point that one could have said 'They don't happen'. But, now we know they can. Looked at in the context of the history of kohaku, she is one out of billions.

I hope the purchaser spends time enjoying her before the cut flower fades. I would find it sad if the new owner remained long distance, showing up only when she was entered in a show in the hope of claiming a trophy. The movie Crazy Rich Asians comes to mind.
    Last edited by MikeM; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:24 AM. Reason: update link
    Brian likes this.

Fry
    That fish didn't seem to have that much of a hump

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Fry
    Oh wait nvm it has an ugly af hump

Rumor posted on another board is that she was acquired by a breeder in Taiwan. That would make somewhat more sense than a hobbyist just seeking a meter+ Kohaku, I guess. But, the economics of breeding are such I doubt it will pay off. Are there enough hobbyists willing to pay a premium for jumbo tosai from a meter+ oyagoi to get a decent return on the investment? ...paying for "the sizzle, not the fish"? And, would they go to a breeder other than SFF? Mmmmmmm..... 500 jumbo tosai marketed at $1,000 each with a lot of hype would take at least 4 breeding seasons to recoup the investment and costs. Seems questionable to me that she would last that long as oyagoi. She is already old by oyagoi standards.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by cktyu View Post
    Oh wait nvm it has an ugly af hump

Wait till you see those with two humps

Garfield