Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Koi Problem! Koi are getting bent backs

Tategoi
    Garry... I think I know who is going to do a presentation next year!

Fantastic reply Garry and perhaps you should become and electrician as you seem to be very convincing

Gazza

Hi,
    I have seen an overdose of organophosphates bent koi and some showing bent backs only months after the treatment.
    Jaco

Koi Problem! Koi are getting bent backs

Steve,

The wire end of the stainless steel end needs to be attached to some Earth ground, whether by a rod into the ground, to plumbing, the ground of the electrican circuit. Whatever method is selected it should be one that is the easiest and least linkely to cause other problems (ie. tripping).

Jaco,

Yes Organophosphates is a possibility and it was one I alluded to when I mentioned drugs. However, since the problem seemed to be occuring over a long period of time I did not place it high on the list of possibilities. Now if Organophosphates is used in this system on a regular basis then that changes the playing field..
    GarryC

Fry
    I saw in one of your feeds that you were concerned about electricity leaking into your pond from your pump, I had a pump that leaked electricity into the water, it had been happening for maybe a couple of years, during this time I had no problems with fish being deformed in fact the leakage was not found until my dog went for a drink, as soon as his tongue touched the water he yelped and jumped back fortunately he didn't suffer more than hurt pride.

I just joined because I bought koi with a bent tail . I liked its coloring and spunk..plus they were scaless variety. So will they be O.k?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koi Problem! Koi are getting bent backs-image.jpg  

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Lynn View Post
    I just joined because I bought koi with a bent tail . I liked its coloring and spunk..plus they were scaless variety. So will they be O.k?
    Dear Tammy ,

Sorry don't want to say this but That looks a straight case for cull .Aslo it seems to be swimming upside down (might be you posted the picture upside down ) i think you might what to think about it.

is it able to eat and swim properly ?? Also is this a fingerling ..

Regards,
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by KK.Menon View Post
    Dear Tammy ,

Sorry don't want to say this but That looks a straight case for cull .Aslo it seems to be swimming upside down (might be you posted the picture upside down ) i think you might what to think about it.

is it able to eat and swim properly ?? Also is this a fingerling ..

Regards,
    KK
    Shoot..I was hoping to give it a break.. Well yes it's a fingerling and oops I posted it upside down..seems. To be swimming ok and eating.. Actually was a tricky booger to catch.. I'm throwing it out to my little pond out back.. Any idea what kind it is.?
    Regards
    Tammy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koi Problem! Koi are getting bent backs-image.jpg   Koi Problem! Koi are getting bent backs-image.jpg  

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Lynn View Post
    Shoot..I was hoping to give it a break.. Well yes it's a fingerling and oops I posted it upside down..seems. To be swimming ok and eating.. Actually was a tricky booger to catch.. I'm throwing it out to my little pond out back.. Any idea what kind it is.?
    Regards
    Tammy
    Well it should get a healthy and full life as long as it can eat . animals don't understand "euthanasia" they just want to struggle and live on - so if you have decided to keep it ,more power to you .

Don't know what kind it is might be some of the guys will be able to help ...(if you have released it back then would suggest taking a small video so all can see the behavior ...)

Also ensure you get to root cause of what is causing the problem and fix it ..

Regards,
    KK

Thanks. I know nothing about the breeds.. I see a fish I like it.. I guess I just felt sorry for it.. Lol .But my aunt has large koi ponds on her property.. I just think they are beautiful Some of her koi here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koi Problem! Koi are getting bent backs-image.jpg   Koi Problem! Koi are getting bent backs-image.jpg  
    KK.Menon likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast