Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big earthquake in Niigata!!

Kevin from Genki Nishikigoi talked to omosako on the phone recently. At that time
    the death toll had risen to 15

Quote Originally Posted by matt

Tried to call a number of friends in the Nagaoka are, all phone lines were busy or dead. Heard Niigata City was without power. Some homes have collapsed, cars with passengers burried in mudslides, as of last report 13 confirmed dead. Scary stuff.
    Tried to get in touch with some folks last night, and the entire mobile network was flooded, and we couldn't even get service in Tokyo. My thoughts are with all, and let's hope for the best.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Landslide picture from Yamakoshi

This photo was taken by a Yomiuri Shimbun helicopter over Yamakoshi Village.

Photo courtesy of the Yomiuri-Shinbun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big earthquake in Niigata!!-yamakoshi-sundan.jpg  
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Unhappy Casualty figures

Deaths:
    • Ojiya - 8
    • Kawaguchi - 4
    • Tokamachi - 3
    Missing:
    • Nagaoka - 2
    Injuries:
    • Over 900 people
    From the start of the earthquake up until 9am this morning, there were 243 discernable tremors.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

From a friend in Japan buying koi............................................... .................

I fly into a typoon when I arrive in Japan, my flight is cancelled from Tokyo to Nagoya. I end up spending 12 hours on a bus to get to Nagoya. The bus actually went to Nagano that is half way to Mushigame and Yamakoshi. Cool but Nagoya is the other way, I was supposed to go there first. Now I am in a 6.8 earthquake and 6.2 and 5.9 aftershocks. I tell you lucky I was on the 2nd floor of the Hotel it shock good just down here hate to feel it swing up on the 14th floor. We had to take the stairs out of the Hotel what a jog from up there. Man what else can happen on this trip? I just need to get some sleep. I have been running since I got here and need a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Blatt
    From a friend in Japan buying koi............................................... .................

I fly into a typoon when I arrive in Japan, my flight is cancelled from Tokyo to Nagoya. I end up spending 12 hours on a bus to get to Nagoya. The bus actually went to Nagano that is half way to Mushigame and Yamakoshi. Cool but Nagoya is the other way, I was supposed to go there first. Now I am in a 6.8 earthquake and 6.2 and 5.9 aftershocks. I tell you lucky I was on the 2nd floor of the Hotel it shock good just down here hate to feel it swing up on the 14th floor. We had to take the stairs out of the Hotel what a jog from up there. Man what else can happen on this trip? I just need to get some sleep. I have been running since I got here and need a break.
    Wow...poor guy! Hope it doesn't sour him on visiting Japan in the future. Doesn't sound like his trip has been much fun thus far.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

No it won't sour him - he goes twice a year and loves it. He has a retail business to keep supplied. While I was talking too him online this morning, it was shaking and we lost contact for about 15 minutes. Apparently the roof on the hotel or building next to his hotel caught on fire - I think from a ruptured gas line. It was, to hear him describe it, quite a scary show. He did however decide to leave a day early from Niigata after all that went on.

Unhappy Some of the losses

Have just had some reports by phone:

It seems that Marudo lost his house and also suffered a broken arm as well. Mushigame seems to be in bad shape, with the roads being shut into Yamakoshi.

Nogami's house suffered some structural damaged, but wasn't destroyed. There were big landslides in Nigorisawa and Yamakoshi. Things aren't looking too good, and all those koi in the indoor houses have been without electricity and aeration since the earthquake last night.

This doesn't look to positive for the rest of the koi season this year.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Jumbo
    This is terrible news!!!!!

Tosai
    My heart and deepest sympathies go out to those who have passed away and those injured in this terrible act of Mother nature.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc...ake/index.html

Col

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast