Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big earthquake in Niigata!!

Exclamation Big earthquake in Niigata!!

We just had a pretty large earthquake in Tokyo, but the epicenter was located in Niigata. Don't have all the details yet, but it was a magnitude 6.8 on the richter scale. Not sure where in Niigata the epicenter was.

Hopefully not it the Ojiya/Nagaoka region. Another ones just come now!
    Last edited by Brian; 10-23-2004 at 09:31 PM.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Arrow Update on the earthquake

Early reports indicate that Ojiya, Nagaoka and Nakasato village were at the epicenter. Ojiya seems to have taken the highest tremors. We've had another aftershock just now.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

I just checked CNN and they said that this is the strongest earthquake anywhere in the world this year. I live in California where it's the earthquake capital of the world. It's not fun being in the middle of a quake. Hope the damages aren't too devastating. Good luck to all who are there.

Rob

coupla years ago seattle went thru a 6.5 and it was very scary. It's hard for me to read the news. I think about the nagaoka grand and the number of times staying there and what it meant.

also the kindness of hasegawa-san showing me his brand new house in ojiya and how beautiful it was!

My thoughts and prayers are with the poeple in that area!

Brian, pls keep us informed as to what you learn about the people we care about!

Brian - I hope you and your family are okay. I saw it on the news this morning. According to US news it lasted over a minute and the epicenter was near Ojiya City. I tuned in during the middle of the newscast so I only got part of it. Again, I hope all is well with you and your family; take care.

-Erwin

Hope all are safe during these trying times.

Rod from bluewater koi in olympia washington was in nagaoka at the time the earthquake hit. Said he is fine, didn't get any rest that night as aftershocks were big and frequent and he is cutting his trip short and coming home. ( so far Mt St. helen's is behaving itself! ) Ain't it grand living on the ring of fire!

Jumbo
    Folks

Some comments/reports direct from Japan at http://www.madaboutkoi.com/dcforum/DCForumID9/9841.html

Mark

I talked to Tom Lai and Kevin Pham who got back a couple of days ago. They pretty much missed the Earthquake but they said the Typhoon was about to hit hard before they left. Kevin was even saying they were goin to stay one more day but lucky they didn't. Regards to those still out there at the fall harvests.

Nisai
    Wow! The first big quake I've experienced. Quakes actually, lots of aftershocks and then a smaller repeat many minutes after.

I remained on Sado this weekend as I have some school festivals to attend today, but if they were not happening I would have been in Ojiya for sure.

Here on Sado we are on another tetonic plate from the mainland, but it still reached 4 on the japanese scale (out of a maximum of 7).

Tried to call a number of friends in the Nagaoka are, all phone lines were busy or dead. Heard Niigata City was without power. Some homes have collapsed, cars with passengers burried in mudslides, as of last report 13 confirmed dead. Scary stuff.

I will be there next weekend for sure, ... my thoughts with everyone there, I'll report more when I know it.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast