Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ThermaKoi Heaters by GC Tek

ThermaKoi Heaters by GC Tek

I was asked to be the guinea pig for the new ThermaKoi electric heaters. It couldn't have came at a better time. I was sent the 1.5 KW ThermaKoi unit to try out on my QT tank. They say it's perfect for a 300 to 500 gallon quarantine tank or pond. We put it to the test to see. I know some of you might say we are in California and we don't get the cold weather like other places. But without heating the tank the water temp would be about 50 degrees right now in it.

I just wanted to give all of you some info before I add it to my QT tank. It will be installed on a 6' show tank that is on my patio. The tank has 1" styrofoam under it to try to keep some of the cold concrete from chilling the tank. Right now I have 4 - 250 watt fish tank heater in the filter. They run 24/7 and can only bring the temp in the tank up to 62 degrees. I was going to cover that tank and wrap the outside of it to try to keep the heat in. I'm going to hold off on that for now, because I want to see what this heater will do for it.

Here's a few pictures of the heater.

One thing I like about it is it has a built in flow switch. That's the white thing on the unit.

I will need to do a small change to my set-up to get the heater to work. That's no big deal, say tune for how well it does or doesn't do. Tom

MCA
    Tom,

I saw some at the Atlanta Koi Show last September. It will be interesting to hear from the "road test".

Wishing and the family a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!!!

MCA

MCA thank you for the warm wishes. The same goes to you and your family.

It will be interesting how well it works out. After looking at it and taking it apart, it looks like a well built unit. You know me I tell it like it is, good or bad. It will be intresting how this unit test out on my set-up.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    MCA thank you for the warm wishes. The same goes to you and your family.

It will be interesting how well it works out. After looking at it and taking it apart, it looks like a well built unit. You know me I tell it like it is, good or bad. It will be intresting how this unit test out on my set-up.

Tom
    I want to know what are the cost of running something like that? Keep us update on your findings....

Based on what I was told 1.5 KW = 1500 watts. But on the unit is said 12 amps. that = 1380 watts.

If the heater was to run 24/7 and it's 1380 watts it would cost me $154 a month to run. That's based on $ .15 per Kwh. But you have to remember if it's doing it job, and I work on keeping some of the heat in, it will not be running 24/7. The test I will be doing in it is, without the tank wrapped or covered to see if it can keep the heat high enough. After that, the tank will be wrapped and covered to try to keep the heat in so it doesn't cost me as much to heat it. I'm hoping to install it Sunday. I will let you know how it goes.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    Based on what I was told 1.5 KW = 1500 watts. But on the unit is said 12 amps. that = 1380 watts.

If the heater was to run 24/7 and it's 1380 watts it would cost me $154 a month to run. That's based on $ .15 per Kwh. But you have to remember if it's doing it job, and I work on keeping some of the heat in, it will not be running 24/7. The test I will be doing in it is, without the tank wrapped or covered to see if it can keep the heat high enough. After that, the tank will be wrapped and covered to try to keep the heat in so it doesn't cost me as much to heat it. I'm hoping to install it Sunday. I will let you know how it goes.

Tom
    Are you going to put insulation around all the piping to help with the heat loss?

I don't think so, the reason is I'm only hoping to have the tank up for a few months.

Tom

Nice unit Tom!
    You might try covering the outside of the tank with some bubble wrap. In my experience most heat loss occurs on the water surface. An insolating cover works wonders. It's good to cover it but you still need air circulation. I put a cover over my Qtank but was also still having trouble with the condensation in the room. I solved that by hooking a vent hose and tiny 5 watt exhaust fan under the cover. The fan is up near the ceiling. This vents the air outside from under the Q tank cover, keeps the surface under a slightly negative pressure making it impossible for water vapor to come outside the cover and keeps a steady but not excessive amount of air circulating about the water's surface.
    B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Well it's Christmas day and all the gifts are open and my wifes starting to do some cooking. So I went out and installed the heater on the QT tank. Last time I checked the temp in the tank was 62 degrees. It has been cold at night and the temp even came down more in the tank. I got a new digital thermoeter for X-Mas and it reads 55.6 degrees in the tank right now. Will see what this heater will do in 24 hours. I will only bring the temp up a few degrees a day so I will keep you up-dated on it. After a week of testing it without it being wrapped, I will wrap the tank and cover it to keep the heat in. Say tune for what happens.

Tom

That looks just like the heater on our hot tub - except for the koi sticker.

steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast