Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Space Saving Ideas?

Question Space Saving Ideas?

Does anyone have any space saving ideas for equipment layouts and arrangements? I have been working with a space of 8ft by 22ft for all my filtration system(linear arrangement) and I'm finding that, IT'S TIGHT in here. I can't believe I'm running out of room.

Does anyone utilize a Bakki Tower setup that does not dump directly into the pond? How do you catch all the trickling water? Is there heavy splashing out around the towers that gets on the floor?

MCA
    My filter pit is 6x12. It contains two Nexus 300, 4 air pumps (2 for Nexus and 2 for air domes), 3 water pumps (2 for Nexus returns and 1 for skimmer). Yep it is tight. 8x22 would seem like a ballroom after my pit!!! I went with Nexus because of compact size, no splashing TT or Bakki show in my system.

MCA

Sansai
    The thing that comes to mind is hopefully whatever design you go with the pipes will be accessible so you can change out a valve or whatever if the need arises. We buried our discharge conduit and have had to replace the valves - what a pain!

Ruth,
    I hear you loud and clear. Access to maintenance valves and cleanouts is definitely a priority. I guess because I'm incorporating (2)40" vortexes for each of my (2) bottom drains would be my downfall. I really want to take care of separating the solids and medium fines prior to biological filtration. I have laid out a butch of accessible flush valves (linear fashion)for each vortex, but may have to stack vortexes 2x2 instead of 1x4 to accommodate more efficient pipe runs to maximize flow rates. I'm actually looking into using seives in lieu of the secondary vortex but still not sure which way to go. Seive will save some valueable space, but I don't know how effective they are...especially if they start clogging up unexpectantly. Thanks.

I think the inside of my filter pit is 10' X 9' but don't quote me on that. I have two Nexus in it, 4 water pumps, 4 air pumps, Zapp pure UV, and a bead filter and still enough room for a TV and a bar if I wanted to add them.

Tom

Huh? ....Room for a TV and a bar, too?? Is there a sub-basement?

Everyone calls the filter house the bomb shelter. I told my wife I want to add on to it and add a refrigerator couch and TV in it. She said that's great then she will not have to look at my ugly mug as much. I told her add a computer also and she would never have to look at me. LOL

The inside of the filter house is about 9' tall.

Tom

you will get splash from the BH media in the conventional stainless steel bakki shower tower trays. What i did was to tape heavy plastic to the upper tray outside and then tuck the bottom of the plastic into the tray beneath it. You can still see what's happening, light still penetrates. I leave the smaller ends open for air and cover the length both front and back.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    Ruth,
    I hear you loud and clear. Access to maintenance valves and cleanouts is definitely a priority. I guess because I'm incorporating (2)40" vortexes for each of my (2) bottom drains would be my downfall. I really want to take care of separating the solids and medium fines prior to biological filtration. I have laid out a butch of accessible flush valves (linear fashion)for each vortex, but may have to stack vortexes 2x2 instead of 1x4 to accommodate more efficient pipe runs to maximize flow rates. I'm actually looking into using seives in lieu of the secondary vortex but still not sure which way to go. Seive will save some valueable space, but I don't know how effective they are...especially if they start clogging up unexpectantly. Thanks.
    Seives don't normally trap waste as small as a well designed vortex. Vortexes trap waste down to 100nm reliably. Flow with a fines filter; fines are a large part of the waste.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    Ruth,
    Seives don't normally trap waste as small as a well designed vortex. Vortexes trap waste down to 100nm reliably. Flow with a fines filter; fines are a large part of the waste.

I suppose that a fines filter secondary can work well with either.