Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question for bakki tower users

question for bakki tower users

one of the claims that running this system makes is a lowering of Ph and Nitrates.
    Do we have anyone who has run this system for over a year that can confirm
    this from record kept on their water?

Dick,

Within the next few weeks mine will have been running for 1-year. It is run additionaly from the existing filter system, but completly seperatly.

I have Nitrates of around the 10 mark, not didgitally measured just test kit, which is a reduction from the 25+ I have previously. I now have no blanket weed at all, the pond walls and bottom look similar to many indoor ponds I've seen, very clean.

pH though has not altered at all, still 8.5, as is my tap water. Would love to find a way of reducing this an without expensive RO system. Tried a cheaper RO version, but the output kept falling away and wasnt reliable.

So I do belive a Bakki will reduce Nitrates but it does nothing for pH.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Jumbo
    Dick

I'm not aware of the claim for showers reducing pH.

I do however know that Bob is not alone in his experience with reduced blanketweed down to a tiny 'suede' on the sides of the pond.

Mark

MCA
    I wonder if any style of filter system that very actively mixes in air has the same effect. I have 2 Nexus each with 80L air pumps churn the water. We have never had any string algae. We just have the nice green velvet on the walls. I don't remember our last nitrate measurement. I know JR and others have pushed TTs as a way to reduce nitrogen compounds.

MCA

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input. Follow up on the RO water,Bob...
    the output kept falling away and wasn't reliable. Sorry I'm not understanding.
    Falling away...volumn of production not consistant? Maybe I need to start a new thread with that title but any input thoughts on RO would be appreciated if that's the only way to lower PH and TDS

Jumbo
    Dick

I can shed some light on what Bob means but sure Bob will be able to add specific figures later.

Some of the guys over here in the UK came upon some cheaper domestic water units which were rated, I think, about 250gallons per day on constant trickle with minimal waste water and without the large pump required by the units Mike runs.

Unfortunately in practice they didn't deliver the claimed volumes for very long and the membranes soon clogged.

Like I say Bob will I am sure fill in specifics.

Mark

RO or Demineralization ?

Dick,

I would look into demineralization with resins. This produces water pure enough for lab use (instead of distilled water). There are some small mixed-resin units available to soften tap water.

But this is still expensive compared to separate anion and cation resins where the water flows through one then the other. Keeping the resins separatly allows you to recharge them (and reuse the same resins for a long time).

The beauty is that you can build such a system yourself with PVC pipe and fittings (must be the acid/alkali-resistant type made for lab use) and a Conductivity meter (tells you when it is time to recharge the resins using a strong base--usually Sodium Hydroxyde-- and a strong acid--usually Hydrochloric Acid).

Invest a little more in good resins and you can find some that will also remove most chlorine and heavy metals.

To remove small particulate in the source water, simply put a cartridge filter in front of the unit.

For more info, seach the Internet for "demineralization".

Have fun.
    Arthur

Dick,

Mark is right, the RO units myself and another couple of people tried out, just would not produce a consistent output. The output dropped off very quickly and after only a wekk wasnt worth continuing with. I'll dig out all the details tomorrow, there in the shed, down the garden. The seller tried to blame just about everything but the unit itself, but I kept very detailed records of all tests/flows/pressures etc. I did get a full refund so that was something, but as yet havent found another at a similar price worth trying.

One of the reasons for using it, was to be able to lower my pH. It is stable at 8.5, but I would prefer it to be stable at 7.5 ish!

If anyone knows any simple way to reduce and keep the pH at 7.5, do tell me! Dont think there's anything available, which is:
    1. Simple
    2. Cheap

Regards, Bob

Talking

Dick:

With my limited knowledge in this area, I would not expect pH to be affected significantly. As a matter of fact, it should slightly raise pH for ponds with less than optimum degassing capability?

Thank-you all for the enlightenment. Can we talk name brands? I will take authur's auggestion and do some research.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast