Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Drain Elevation?

Bottom Drain Elevation?

Believe it or not...my planning effort is near complete...except that while drawing my pond sections, I came across a question regarding the gravity flow of water and the elevation of my bottom drains in relation to drain invert height. It appears that my bottom drains are lower than my flush-out piping by at least 24 inches. That means I will not be able to entirely drain my pond solely by the use of gravity and a drain valve. I would have to pump that extra water out with my pump system. Is this o.k? How do you drain a pond that is solely dug into the ground, I would guess the pumps are the only way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will post my first pond plans for some constructive criticism soon. Thanks

Tosai

In my planning for my new pond, there is a by-pass line to a pump so the pond can be fully emptied. Everything is easier if you can place your pond at the top of a hill!

Why get all complicated? Just let it drain as far as it will go and then toss a sump pump witha hose attached that runs to the drain someplace. Those pumps are dirt cheap and though they aren't very economical with electricty, you would only need it for a couple of hours before the pond was completely empty.

B.Scott

Agree with Scott +

The setup you described is probably one off the fee really functioning safety system against problem number 1.

The only thing that has stopped me from this cardinal error is to this day the need for mechanical/physical alteration that is not associated with any off the normal maintenance around the Nishikigoi.

If it’s possible with low point draining I often construct myself off this as soon as possible. Remember Murphy’s Law!

Akai-San,

I have the same problem, as I guess do many people. I've never had to drain the pond entirely, but if I did I'd do what Scott suggests.

OK look on the positive side, should you even have a break in a pipe, or pumping problems, your pond will never empty!

Uhm... unless it breaks near the bottom of the pond!

Thanks a bunch, you have all been a great help and support group for this newbie-san. Is it still possible to run a pond pump to divert the remaining water to drain pipes if ever had too drain the pond for major repairs?

Just thinking about it again, how much is water around the world these days? My monthly water and sewer bill runs about $25-$30/month right now (NO POND). Anybody care to share the their water charges?

Akai-san
    Close as i can figure for my koi it costs me around $40.00 amonth for water alone.
    I drain everything once or twice a day for vortexes and have a constant 24/7 trickle that overflows to waste.
    That's alot for 4 koi but I have no problems and if it ain't brke I don't have to fix it. Hey " it's only money"!.....

you'll probably spend that much on huli-huli chicken barbeques around the pond when you build it!

There is quite a bit of variation in central Florida, depending on the utility serving a local area and extent to which saltwater intrusion along coastal areas requires use of desalinization or long distance transmission. In Orlando, we sit over the Floridan Aquifer, an enormous freshwater "river" slowly flowing thru the pervious rock substrate deep below. It is one of the purest sources of freshwater in North America. ..... So, the water is relatively cheap compared to other areas of the state, but, nonetheless, there is a sliding scale of charges to discourage heavy water use. The first 3,000 gallons per month is $0.801 per thousand gals. The next 12,000 gals is $1.071 per thousand. The next 15,000 gals is $1.881 per thousand. Usage over 30,000 gals per month is $2.931 per thousand. So, 60,000 gals would cost approx $160. The larger charge is the sewer tax on water discharged into the sewer system.It is about double the cost of the water, so that $160 would become more nearly $480. But, no sewer tax applies if the water is used to irrigate and separately metered on an irrigation line. It costs a bit to acquire a separate irrigation meter, but the cost is quickly recouped.

Bottom line: You could do a 10% daily water change on a 20,000 pond for about $5 per day, if the waste water is used to irrigate the garden. Or, a 50% weekly water change on a 5,000 gal pond for less than $15 per month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast