Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: issue 8 is great!

So...would anyone like to kick off the discussion on Asagi then?
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

(lol) well I'm most happy to start! one of the most beautiful koi in the world is the silver fukerin narumi bred by hosokai. They used to be 1% of his spawn from his original parents starting in 1978. if you ever saw one, you would just shake your head in amazement. Wonder if his new male has changed the genetics enough to where he no longer gets them?
    i did think it was interesting to learn that many of his upcoming young tategoi have the white separation strip between the blue and red like the old taki (waterfall) asagi.Most breeders will breed narumi to narumi to firm up the genetics but isn't it interesting to learn
    that three different genetics are represented in the young he raises from two different types!
    Am interested to see how others view the koi pictured as to what they find attractive. I like #1, 7, 9 and 15. I like the lighter blue and not too much red.

11 and 14 have perfect amounts of red in my tastes but the blue is way to dark to me!

Would like to know other's tastes ( and if they have the patience to wait 5 years for #1 to get where it is today! )

Nisai
    i have not been posting for a while, but it was great to get home from my holidays to find the asagi issue waiting for me. should find time to read it tonight.

some of you know that i am also an asagi freak, i have 6 in my modest pond, two from hosokai. i love the lighter ones, and like dick red is not as imprortant to me as a nich blue (not grey) and god reticulation. I know exactly what dick means by the Hosokai silver furikin. I have seen some of these he has entered in the Niigata shows in the past years. Wiked looking fish. I have another asagi that is not in my pond that i have been dying to show you all. I`ll have a picture of that posted soon.

An extra cool aspect of asagi to me, is how many types of other koi are derived from them. I dream that one day i will have the resoucese to breed my own, especially aigoromo. I`ve always figured platinum asagi would be easy to produce, though for all the gin rin i have seen, i have never seen a metalic. Has anyone else?

Well, Dick, I did not get enough read to tackle your points. I was impressed by the photos showing the darkening that occurred in hard water and its reversal by being placed in a pond. Skimming, I saw a comment by Hosakai that he wants some hardness in his water and another that cloudy pond water increases Hi ... have to read it all to get it straight, I think. The point that got across, however, in just skimming the articles is that Asagi interact with their water to a very high degree. I guess that is true of all koi, but Asagi more dramatically?

Mike i think you touched on an important topic-water. Like the famous koi keepers of old used to say..." you learn to keep water-not koi" and it's true.
    As you can see as I really concentrate on my favorite koi (by my postings anyway) you can see my efforts to come to grips with water management
    and control of PH and hardness.

Asagi was the first color variety and still leads the way to learning with all the others!

Koi Keepers

Dick-

How would you describe the Asagi on the cover of the current issue of Koi Keepers magazine(issue 8, Winter 2004)?

Mike

Would love to join in but unfortunatly mine has not arrived yet.....booo hooo i hope i am still subscribed as i have had nothing to tell me otherwise.

Gazza.

Mike, Sorry can't comment as i don't subscribe to the magazine. I even tried to find a web site that would picture the koi but didn't have any luck.

Nisai
    Like in the movie 'Star Wars' most of us have started from chapter 3(or is it 4?).LOL.
    I'm an unlikely candidate to discuss on asagi for I'm a dummy on asagi but there a few questions I'll like to ask the experience asagi keeper like Dick or Matt.
    I have only finished reading up to 'An invitation to asagi part I' but I think it a good idea to throw up some questions as I go through KB mag.

1)The Japanese word for asagi mean light yellow. Why?
    2)Does the ginan color on the asagi face become lighter as it grow older?
    3)If the fukurin is not so noticeable(as in pic.5 part I),is it due to genetic or can
    it be condition?
    4)Will the light blue turn darker in harder water,said raising up to GH 10ppm?
    5)Does navy blue asagi have higher tendency to develop sumi?

I have attached a picture of an asagi keep by a local hobbyist. Is this what you would call waterfall asagi?

Thanks
    SF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails issue 8 is great!-hosokao-asagi-35cm.jpg  

Nisai
    While I`ve bought a lot of asagi in the last couple years, they are still young and I am still a beginer. I think Dick is much more suited to answering most of the questions. However in regards to the origin of the name, I thought asagi were named for the Emperor or Imperial period in which they were developed, much like Showa. So even if the name also means light yellow, it was not given to them as an indication of their colour.

As for the picture, i dont know if its called waterfall or not. I call it gorgeous! How old is it and how big? While not my very favorite type I would love to have an adult fish that had this much white. So far I have only seen pictures of asagi older than tosai that look anything like this. If the head turns white with age I would want it in my dream pond.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast