Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you all think this will develop??

Sansai

How do you all think this will develop??

Hi all
    I got this sanke of Jinbei origin and wondered what you thought. I'm under no illusions about its quality so be brutally honest. I got it for a good price. It's confirmed male, 3 years old and 38cm.

I'd like you to have a guess at how you think it might look in say 6 months time.

Thnx for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you all think this will develop??-41a1032b04cbce0a.jpeg  

Brutally honest? Well here's my 2 cents...38cm as a Sansai is very very small. The pattern is okay. Sumi quality is okay, but too messy for my taste. Jimbei is known for big blocky laquar sumi. Beni is too orange, should be alittle more red. I have a pic of a Jimbei Sanke Male and I will post it once I take pics. I am guessing you paid around $75-$125 for the Sanke? I am just putting an auction value on the fish, is it close?

Sansai
    Hi m8, a fair judgment and even a bit generous I'd say.

As for cost, I'm in the UK and I paid a bit more than your estimate but not much more.

I wasn't totally honest in my first post in that I actually got it 6 months ago so I would like to see how people think it will progress/decline and when I get a few opinions I'll post the 6 months after picture.

Thnx
    Daz

Tategoi
    It looks malnourished and/or possibly diseased. It could bulk up nicely and the colors should come up with a little care.

But, yeah, the sumi looks weak even then. The Jinbei male I have is mistaken for a poor kindai showa...

Sansai
    Its certainly slim, it was 100% healthy though and producing milt when I got it. It had just spent a UK winter in a mud pond.

Oh, you must have a pleasant surprise for us or you wouldn't stick your neck out so far!

Definitely undernourished ... so scrawny and such oversized pecs. Jimbei can have substantial increase in sumi, and poor nutrition can cause Sumi loss as the body "cannibalizes" itself to survive. So, I'm guessing some very nice Sumi after getting well fed. But, the Hi probably did not recover as well, but should become more red. The orange color does not concern me per se, because this guy is really just 18 months old in development. He has arrested development due to the malnutrition. If the 6 months was in warm water, I'd put him at 20" [50cm].

BTW, I'd not have bought him for anything more than $25, and then only for the learning of growing a malnourished koi. ... So, surprise us!

Sansai
    Nothing specactular I'm afraid but he has certainly changed. At the time I desparately needed a male to spawn and paid over the odds but needs must and what attracted me to it was the excellent white ground white is'nt really apparent from that picture.

No warm water either, just a small, 800 gallon, unheated pond in the UK i'm afraid.

I'll dig a 6 month on picture out later when I get home.

I agree with some of the others that the basic look of the koi is stunted. The gigantic pecs confirm indeed it is male. the head is short (not mis shappened) but none the less not indicating any size potential. Now all that negative stuff out of the way....

judging colors is like an oil artists painting...the basic color affects all of the
    additional add ons. The white here is actually good. The black is also. the red is
    exactly the color kentaro sakai taught me to kook for. The color of machi, ah persmmon in the english lanquage, and will develop into a beautiful stable red.
    not the hard purple red that I was taught not to trust!

Daz-

I won't comment on the Sanke as you'll get plenty of other comments but I will say that as the American expression goes "I have some really nice swap property in Florida you might be interested in", I have some really nice males or unsexed koi at a comparable price in my pond you might be interested in but alas, I'm not a dealer. Maybe a few should post pictures of Sanke at a certain price range they've acquired to get some perspective.

Mike Pfeffer

Sansai
    ok heres a photo taken 6 months after the first one. His progress is nothing spectacular as I said, it wasnt meant to be a 'show off' thread, just 2 pictures that I had six months appart that could spark a discussion on development.

I think there have been quite a few comments that are pretty close to being spot on. The little 'diamond' shape made up of 4 little dots of hi is distinctive and quite unique. The second picture is in the same bowl etc and his size for the second one is 46cm, still no monster but not bad growth for an old'ish fish in unheated, small, UK water. Filled out nicely too.

Feel free to comment

Thnx

Daz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you all think this will develop??-untitled.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast