Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes this hobby great

What makes this hobby great

What makes this hobby great, is it the koi or the people?

I would have to say it's both. In the 8 or so years we have been in this hobby I have seen a lot of koi and got to meet a lot of people. Some of you have made days wonderful for me. The day I went up to Champion Koi & Genki Koi was one of those days you don't forget. Not only did I get to see some great koi at both places. I got to meet some great people. It was like I knew them all my life.

Another great day was at the Koi Kichi show. Not knowing some people and getting the chance to meet them was great. It was so fun watching Bob and his wife. It reminded me of me and my wife, but turned around.

People like Steve Childers is in a class by himself. Steve open his door and house to a total stranger, me. Steve had no idea who I was, but he invited me to his house for the weekend to spend it with him and his family. I have to say that was one of the best weekends of my life. Not only did I get to see some great koi and a great pond, I got to meet a great family.

Man, I can go on and on for day about all the people I have met over the years in this hobby. I just want to say thank to all those people and they know who they are.

Tom

Tosai

Talking

Tom

I agree with you,i have only had my first pond since october 04 but have already met some great people connected with this great hobby/life style

Dave A and Jules come to mind both very nice blokes and full of great advice for a novice like me.

Am glad to be amongst you all and long may it continue

cheers

Bedskoi

"I Love This Hobby" that's all can say!!! Great people and koi, from all around the world.

Tategoi

Thumbs up The People

Tom:

It's the people... Complete strangers willing to help one another... The world should take a lesson...

Aloha! Mike

Totally agree with you.

Nishikigoi have opened doors for me all over the world.

As you say - Koi Shows, always a good place to meet other koi nuts.

An observant Imigration official at Atlanta airport spotted a Koi pin on my jacket. My papers were stamped without any questions, we just talked Koi.

A supposed difficult customer meeting with reps of a Japanese Airline changed completely after my koi calendar and various koi pictures were noticed.

rgds

Quote Originally Posted by Bern
    Totally agree with you.

Nishikigoi have opened doors for me all over the world.

As you say - Koi Shows, always a good place to meet other koi nuts.

An observant Imigration official at Atlanta airport spotted a Koi pin on my jacket. My papers were stamped without any questions, we just talked Koi.

A supposed difficult customer meeting with reps of a Japanese Airline changed completely after my koi calendar and various koi pictures were noticed.

rgds
    How bout' changing JAL's logo from a crane to a koi?

I've been involved with many hobbies over my life time but I have never seen
    a hobby that attracts so many cultures and nationalities as well as financial diversity. here in the USA and well as UK and Australia the hobby includes both sexes and young and old. In japan that ain't so!

Some of my closest friends are from koi or bonsai. They are all gosanke freaks but i love them all the same because I know sometime they will wake up and smell the yamabuki flowers.

"if it ain't bluey, then shame on youey"...... ( just kidding ) we may all collect different color varieties but we all seek the peace and tranquility that a healthy pond gives....

This thread is about 2 years old now and alot of things have changed in that amount of time. We have seen our good friend Tom C, Jason S leave etc etc...and we have seen alot of people join. Those days were the good ol'days...Would some of you still think the hobby is as great as it was 2 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    .Would some of you still think the hobby is as great as it was 2 years ago?
    It is better for me then it was 2 years ago. I've made some great friends in the last two years because of koi and I've increased my knowledge quite a bit in the last two years as well. I hope the next two are just as good.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    This thread is about 2 years old now and alot of things have changed in that amount of time. We have seen our good friend Tom C, Jason S leave etc etc...and we have seen alot of people join. Those days were the good ol'days...Would some of you still think the hobby is as great as it was 2 years ago?
    Tony

I think for some it has changed. I remember my folks always saying, "Oh, those were the good ole days.." History has a way of repeating itself and now as I've gotten older, I can understand what my folks meant. I wrote some lyrics to a song back in 1969 (my hippy days) that may seem appropose for this thread....
    "Times change,
    and with it go the people,
    ideas change,
    and love fades away..."

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast