Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Koi Clubs and Koi Shows"

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    I agree! Cycling clubs are no different. You need to put on a race in order to have a club status and get sponsorship etc. Clubs should all need to put on a koi show to better the hobby and grow it.

Mike T, just let me know if you need help with that show. You know I am there for you!!!... Joe
    Hey I am always down to support a koi show, a koi show weather you like or not is party of this hobby if you show or not show...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler
    yes to all the questions I do not think a club HAS to have a show every year to be a good club.. Look at MAKC
    I think the MAKC is pretty much up to standard with Japan with throw a good show every year, my hats off to you guys.

Our Orlando Area Koi & Pond Club has never had a show, nor its predecessor clubs as far as is known, but we have been fortunate to have the best show in Florida in Orlando for several years ... the All Florida Koi And Pond Show, and have co-sponsored it with other clubs. After AFKAPS collapsed following the last one, the clubs in Tampa, Daytona, Gainesville & Orlando areas teamed up with ZNA Southern Koi Association to create the new Central Florida Koi Show .... coming up in early March. It is going to be bigger and better than any before it in Florida. Still, not our club's show ... members will be helping all over, but the show is really independent of any one club. Simply a great time of year to have a show in Orlando. So, we are going to put on a little young koi show in the Fall. A real show of our own. It will not be worth traveling very far to attend, but everyone has to start somewhere. Perhaps in a few years it will serve the purpose of growing the club, but for now it is for the enjoyment of the members.

Oh, on your other questions ... learn far more from reading and the boards than any other source, but nothing is better than seeing other folks' koi in person. I know there are members who would drive an hour thru traffic to help me out on a problem if I needed it. There is friendship in scales, even if we are not ZNA.

We try to educate members, but we are a small club and it can be a challenge when people are at many different knowledge levels. What fascinates me might be incomprehensible to someone else, or really boring ... like, not many people enjoy hours of discussion of Sumi !

We do not do much fundraising, and what we have done has mainly paid for show tanks and contributions to worthy causes, like the AKCA KHV fund. It is pretty low key ... just koikeepers getting together pondside and enjoying the company of others.

Jumbo
    Just to set the record straight:

MAKC has an annual koi show every year. We also have two young koi shows a year in addition. JR

Jumbo
    Bob and Aqua, you'll make me smile-

without the koi club there would be no show

without the koi show there would be no standards of excellence

without the standards there would be no varieties

without varieties we would only have oddities and mutts

in that case, there would be no such efforts set forth on message boards, there would be no koi-bito magazine or board.

JR

My thinking is why pay a membership fee if it's just goin to be a social club? You can make new friends by hanging out at koi shops or being introduced to other hobbyist. If a club has a good size membership why not throw a show. Would there be a big voter turn out if they did not have a convention for both the Domocratic and Republican parties...no...My opinion is just I notice alot of clubs who have been around for awhile and haven't thrown a show in years...AKCA should have it that if you are under the AKCA your club asassociated should throw a show every year. That's all I am saying, don't members find it embarassing that they have to show their own koi at another clubs show, knowing your club doesn't want to put out the effort to organize one. Atleast clubs should support joint koi shows to say like a All-NorCal Show where all the clubs are together for a one big show a year...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Also......

With all these judges out there we need to keep them busy....

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Just wanted to get a poll.

1.Who in this board is in a club? You dont have to say your club name.
    2.Do you find you get more information on this Board than at club meetings?
    3.Do you feel your membership or fund raising money is well spent even if your club does not have a show?
    4.Do you feel you have enough say in a club to get your opinions a cross?
    1. Me! But not you?!

2. Different objectives. My last club meeting was spent socializing and getting ideas from club members about what we should be doing with the rest of the year. Got some good ideas and caught up with some koi friends. Good times!

But from this board in the last month or two I've learned more about various breeders, various other shows, sumi development, culling and breeding, etc., etc.

Example: Next meeting we're visiting a new member's home. The member is looking for ideas on how retrofit a 'landscaper special' into a nice koi pond. He asked for it!

3. I haven't belonged for long but we've had shows the last couple of years. If we didn't have a show I'd still think the $$ was well spent though. The point of the club isn't just for the show, although that is a big part of the year. We're there to support each other in our pursuit of the koi hobby...

4. Well, yes. They made me Vice President. Not saying that means much for their sense -- maybe sense of humor!

Tategoi

Thumbs up I guess you have to walk before you run

This is in response to Bekko's and Joe's posts re: show in Hawaii...

Bekko's right, at the last club meeting I brought up what I thought would be a perfect venue for our first show in a long time...Boys' Day, 5 May 05... How auspicious can it be...Triple 5.

My pet peeve is that when you put something like this on, the same 5-8 individuals do all the work... So I was very surprised when 13 0f 20 people volunteered to work the show... More would have committed but I asked for a three day commitment... I'm sure if we split the work over three days then all 20 would have volunteered... At that point I thought " piece of cake" we got us a show...

Now here's what Bekko is talking about... I asked "How many of you would be willing to show your koi"...You would have thought that E.F. Hutton walked into the meeting...Deathly Silence, not one hand raised...No body wanted to show their koi...

So now it's onto Plan "B"...no judging, just showing koi for the public's appreciation and education, everyone showing in their own tanks... Will be discussing this topic on Sunday, the 20th of Feb... Will keep you apprised

Joe thanks for your offer, will keep it in mind... I think Kenneth and Shirleen miss you guys already...Tell Kevin I still want to see those Kohakus he didn't bring to the Hawaii Seminar….As to Mr. Winkler...Is he still being stalked by Mr. L...

Aloha! Mike

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast