Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sumi development - Back to Front

Sumi development - Back to Front

I recently heard something interesting and new to me regaring sumi development. I heard that sumi develops from the back-end/tail section of koi and develops forward to the head section/front of the fish.

Therefore, when we look at unfinished koi to assess it's sumi quality we should evaluate the strength/quality of sumi on the front section of the koi because it is the weakest point for sumi. So if the sumi quality is good upfront, then so will the rest of the sumi on the koi; whether sumi is already showing or not.

Does this only apply to gosanke? At the time we were only looking at sankes and showas.

True or false? Maybe I heard my facts wrong. But I'd like to open it up to the board members to shed some light on this "dark" subject .

Tategoi
    You heard right. He did repeat it multiple times. Also said that hi moves from front to back. Makes it interesting for sanke!

On the other hand, look at showa and emerging sumi.

But mostly he was talking about quality of sumi. If the nice sumi is on the back but the sumi on front isn't so hot then it is likely the sumi on the front isn't going to get better.

Rules for choosing, not absolutes I'm sure.

Btw, the new kohaku sure looks nice in my pond.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonS
    You heard right. He did repeat it multiple times. Also said that hi moves from front to back. Makes it interesting for sanke!

But mostly he was talking about quality of sumi. If the nice sumi is on the back but the sumi on front isn't so hot then it is likely the sumi on the front isn't going to get better.

Rules for choosing, not absolutes I'm sure.

Btw, the new kohaku sure looks nice in my pond.

You got a pic of the Kohak you bought Jas..

Btw, the new kohaku sure looks nice in my pond. [/QUOTE]

Cool. That is a very nice fish and it wasn't a good price... it's was a steal

Tategoi
    But my wife says she isn't letting me near any auctions anymore.

Aqui -- Erwin has a better pix somewhere, but here is one I like -- it shows off all the faults of the fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sumi development - Back to Front-tora_800.jpg  

Nice Kohak...Kuchibeni even, I like ...Great buy...

It has been a rule of thumb that blacvk is trongest in the tail section and works forward. There are individual fish ( like people ) who don't play by the rules.

I like to find a sanke that has a good shoulder patch and maybe not a lot else showing. A showa i want to see something on the head and maybe some pin prick black at the base of the dorsal.

the koi with black at the tail and you wish for something at the head or shoulder can be frustrating but it can happen. Keep in mind your water has a lot to do with black development. Most modern day go sanke take 4-8 years to get an idea of what's coming, so don't be in a hurry to off anything.

Same order of idea, I bought that Koromo (5 years old and 47 cm) just before winter at a good price (300 €uros) because the dealer wanted to empty his stock. I didn't really like the sumi but that fish was so friendly that i thought he will have a good influence to my others koi.
    How do you think the sumi will develop ? What kind of food should i give if I want increase the sumi developemnt ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sumi development - Back to Front-koromo.jpg  

Tategoi
    Marco, that is a lovely Ai-goromo and I wouldn't wish for more sumi on it.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonS

Jason,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you say "If the nice sumi is on the back but the sumi on front isn't so hot then it is likely the sumi on the front isn't going to get better."

If the sumi develops from back to front and you have a sanke or showa with nice sume at the back.....wouldn't that be a good indication that the sumi in front of it would also develop into similar nice quality sumi in time? Please explain your statement. Maybe I'm confused!

Thanks,
    Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast