Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: acquired house with pond; needs system

Tosai

acquired house with pond; needs system

Just acquired a house with a koi pond. It's approximately 2000 gal. No bottom drain, 3' deep. What type of filtration, pump, aererator, etc. do I need to get. I've been researching, but options are overwhelming. I perfer a system that I won't regret in a year, but don't want to take out a second mortgage. Small waterfall in corner, 3' x 3',not much space to hide a filter. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by julia22
    Just acquired a house with a koi pond. It's approximately 2000 gal. No bottom drain, 3' deep. What type of filtration, pump, aererator, etc. do I need to get. I've been researching, but options are overwhelming. I perfer a system that I won't regret in a year, but don't want to take out a second mortgage. Small waterfall in corner, 3' x 3',not much space to hide a filter. Any suggestions?
    2000 gallon pond, nice. What is it made of first off? Liner? Concrete? Fiberglass?
    Retrofitting the pond shouldn't be to bad. You really wont "Break the bank" on a small project like yours. But first off what is it made of?

Tosai
    the pond is constructed of a liner. Very large rocks sits on the liner in the corner to create the waterfall.

What area of the country? What is feeding the waterfall now, a submersible pump?

Also is there some sort of filteration on the pond now?

I'd like to know where you live to make suggestions based on your weather.
    You might consider a smaller Bubble bead that you can backwash weekly that feeds into A biofilter and returns back to the pond before the waterfall with a UV light. Did the previous owner leave you any koi or are you starting from scatch?

Tosai
    its been a while since I've asked about filtration. The pond is a black liner, 1500 gal., about 8 large Koi, Cyber.... something filter is on it now . Filter has 6 green sponges and 10 brushes with media in the bottom. A UV light is attached. Thinking of Vortec or AquaDyne? Any comment.

It has been 5 months since you first posted. How have things been going? It really would be helpful to know the climate where you live. There are a lot of differences between New England in U.S. and Indonesia.

Tosai
    Sorry, forgot to answer that question. I live in central Texas. In the summer heat gets over 100, but we seldom freeze in the winter.