Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plans to improve your existing pond

plans to improve your existing pond

Every year I'm always thinking what i can do to make things better. Besides working with Taking the hardness out of the water to benefit my asagi's, I want to improve the general landscaping around the pond. My bonsai garden has really made the place a restful fun place to enjoy. I hope to continue to add
    more benches for display. Last year I took down a 20 foot tall laurel hedge and dug out the roots/stumps by hand! The pine trees and other plantings starved for light are coming back gang busters this year so it's back to pruning and training. so what's on your to-do list around the pond this year?

My plan is to kill the neighbors tree. I went out the other day and the pond was full of leaf from there tree. No I will not kill it, but I am going to work on cutting back what's hanging over the fence. I'm also going to offer to pay to have it trimmed.

I have some work to do in the filter house this year. I have to do some finish work that never got done. I'm also planning on more plans in the yard. I have a few spots behind the pond I'm not happy with.

Dick do you have any pictures of your pond that you can post? I would love to see it.

Tom

I too have been working in the garden around my pond. Not a whole lot to do but some small stuff here and there. I have been looking into getting into bonsai as well. I have been shopping and looking at others collections.

I just made a few big bonsai planter boxes out of redwood. Man all the angles were tough. But I like wood working anyhow. The look cool. Now its time to make some structures around pond.

I also think I am going to add a bakki shower for fun. I just have to figure how to hide it.

Tom, I'll go down there and prune it.. LOL I used to love to prune big trees. Its like a big bonsai.

Joe

Joe are you planning on building your own bakki or buying one already done? I have also been thinking about adding one.

Are you in FL right now?

Tom

Tategoi

Wink Tom~ It's round up time!

The neighbor two houses above us had a 30' Tacoma tree planted in the sidewalk area of his property...Problem was, he never raked the leaves...The prevailing winds are downhill so all his leaves ended up in the neighbor's yard above me with the residuals ending up in our yard...

After 20 years of this sh*t...the tree died... Seems my immediate neighbor, bore 8, 1/2" dia. x 8" deep holes in the base of the tree, about 2" below the dirt line and poured concentrated Round Up into the holes...Took 3 weeks to do the tree in, after only one treatment...

When's your neighbor going away on vacation? May be a good time to buy some Round Up....

Aloha! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    Joe are you planning on building your own bakki or buying one already done? I have also been thinking about adding one.

Are you in FL right now?

Tom

Tom, Long story on the Orlando trip. Should have been there but nope I'm right here next to my pond building bonsai planters working on yard.

Building my pwn bakki. Yeah I am thinking about it. Not that hard but believe is or not. I kinda like those stainless steal ones. But I will probably build one unless I get lazy and just spring for one.

Round up on a tree.. Hmmm Sounds like murphys law will get ya if ya do..

Now Mike I have to live next to these people for a long time. I wouldn't think about killing a tree that's not mine. I have killed one other tree a few years ago with round up. It did work very well. I just put some on the leafs of it and it was gone in a month or so. I told my wife I didn't know what killed it.

Keo who makes the SS ones in the US. I have seen them a lot in the UK and they are very nice. I can add one right in back of the pond and I don't think it would look all that bad. I did see the one Ken has on one of his tanks and it look real nice.

Are you coming down next week?

Tom

Tategoi
    Tom:

You and Joe are right...post was sort of, sort of, a joke...actually happened but neighbor 2, was actually happy to see tree go...although he didn't know what the cause was...

As for your situation, since you were lolo enough to build near the tree you've got to live with it... We have three guava trees whose branches are actually right over our pond and the savio/skimmer filter picks up 90 % of the debris, the other 10% ends up on the grate above the bottom drain... Water vac picks that up...

Aloha! Mike

The tree in question is not all that close to my pond. It's about 25' away. But when the wind blows all the leaf come into my yard. The tree I'm talking about is the one in this picture behind the filter house.

Tom

Tom, I don't think I am coming down next week either. No I'm not in jail. (lol)Long story again.. I think I can get the SS ones for pretty good deal. We can talk by phone about it or PM..... They are local in Cali... Just like Kens... I was going to go for the smaller unit. I have a about 5 garbage cans full of bio balls from back in my SW aquarium days. I will probably use. If I go to Momotaro Auction. I will try to pick up 2 boxes worth.

Jsut finished another Bonsai planter box out of 4x12 old growth redwood. Look good but cutting 45's at a 15 deg angle this that. man confusing... Looks ok kinda beat up though.

Tom that tree needs to get thinned out it will look really good and add a bit more light for your pond. Less branches less leaves. Less Leaves less work for you... LOL

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast