Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Return of the Sumi

Return of the Sumi

Hi Guys/Galls,

Has anyone else had the Sumi dissapear only to return later.

Pic 1: Taken in Japan Beni Kumonryu is in the centre of the bowl.

Pic2: Whilst in quarentine temps were increased to eliminate any risks, mid 20c as you can see in pic 2 the sumi has dissapered.

Pic3: The back end of Summer 04 a small pin head of sumi started to appear, as you can see the return of the Sumi picture taken on 13.03.05. so it looks promising dont you think. Is this down to skin pigmentation reacting with the temperatures, I would appreciate any advise you can give me on this one, and has anyone else had this.
    Comments very welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

That is what kumonryu do. Their black will come and go with water temp and environment changes. They are always changing, and with a beni, you get 3 colors that may change.

Hi Philip,

I understand that the Kumonryu do change, I accept the fact you dont always get what you want (as goes with most Koi). Just wondered if any of the experts could give me some technical info on what actually happens to the skin.You say all three colours can change, if the Hi dissapears would this re appear? as on some showa Sanke this does not so Im told??.

I look forward to your replies

My hi has spread to cover the white leaving only a black and red fish, while I have seen others that the hi went away and has yet to return. On normal kumonryu, the black is constantly changing with water temps. I have gone from white areas to totally black in one season, then some white comes back through the next year.

H Phillip, very interesting these Kumonryu are they not, you also say the Hi went and has not returned I have my doubts that it will, does yours look better just black and red can be quite stunning, I'm hoping mine stays that way, will still get a few changes now and then, have you got a piccy of your would be nice to see it.

You be the judge...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Return of the Sumi-benit-1-.jpg  

Hi Phillip,

That certainly has the WOW factor, when that piccy came up it did just that, male or female (looks male) size? , be nice if the red was to appear along the dorsal fin just to break up the Sumi, but hey ho next year it may just do that.

Big thanks for taking the time to post your piccy.

3yr old female about 20 inches. When we bought her in Japan at tosai, she had a white head and what almost looked liked a tancho.

Thats is amazing the changes that have taken place, but still a great Koi. Just goes to show my judgeing skills are crap, big pecs and slender body did me . Who was the breeder?

The whole pec thing to sex a fish by pic is useless. I can't remember the breeder, but could explain to you physically where he is in Ojiya, but too many trips to Japan and too many breeders to remember. Now, if it was one of the major gosanke, then I can tell you who the breeder was. Something about spending $$$$ causes you to remember.