Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shunrai

Shunrai

I have been reading about a variety of koi named "Shunrai", derived from a cross of Goshiki and Sumigoromo. It is supposed to have a Kohaku pattern, but with black replacing red. The body color should be white, but the Asagi genes seem to cause many (most? all?) to turn dark. Some apparently develop a light blue-gray body ground color (while in process of turning dark?) with Sumi steps overlaying. This is a relatively new variety originating around 1990. I have not seen a picture of an actual fish. Anyone have one? Or, know where a picture can be found? I expect it sounds more interesting than the reality of it.

Hi Mike,

This pic was taken in 2002 from the first batch of Tosai to come into the UK. They were bred by Miyatora and the name means 'Spring Thunder' so I am told.

There were ginrin as well as normal ones available. The reports, one year on, from those that bought them, confirm your suspicions about the asagi genes coming through, but that is a particular problem in my part of the UK.

Several were bought by known show fanatics and I have never seen one appear at any show in this vicinity.

rgds BERN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shunrai-shunrai_3.jpg  

Mike,

I guess you're reading Rinko? If not then the current electronic version has an article on this.

Yes Bern, Shunrai = spring thunder, apparently so named from the dark clouds that are in evidence with spring thunderstorms and the comparrisson to the colour and patterning on these fish. (Almost as romantic as Ochiba sigure!)

I have just spoken to somebody that bought one.

His description of the fish today is "A dark sumi-goromo with a dirty blue/grey skin". His other comments are.

"Visitors think it is an Israeli"

"They don't grow very well" he estimates its about 14inches. I have to add that his pond is overstocked but this fish has been overtaken by a couple of small Sanke bought early last year.

rgds BERN

Hmmmmm. The idea of either a gray-bodied or a white koi with black step patterning is appealing - if the black is solid. But it sounds like this is in need much refinement. An old-style blackish Goshiki with black patterns is simply a mottled fish.

....and thanks Bern for the photo. You have an amazing reservoir of knowledge.

Oh Mike!

You say the nicest things "thanks Bern for the photo. You have an amazing reservoir of knowledge".

Over here they just say I'm full of sh*t.

BTW - The dealer who imported the Shunrai all those years ago gets suitably embarassed whenever they are mentioned. This villain can be found on www.connoisseur-koi.co.uk He's more restrained these days.

rgds BERN

I think in most marketing ventures the word new evokes certain ideas more from the mind than reality. How many products in other realms have been rushed to the public a bit premature? I think it's good that breeders are looking to create something new. Without that we would have have the color varieties that we now enjoy. Thanks Bern for the photo and owner's comments. Would be interested to know who is breeding/marketing them?

Predictable Dick we should call you.
    The meerest mention of a blue fish and there's Benbow! LOL

The ones I saw were bred by Miyatora. The first dealer that had them in the UK was Geoff Kemp Connoisseur Koi. I did see some on sale at other places the following year but Geoff only brought back one more, one that he had left out there to grow on. That just looked like a larger version of the ones I photo'd.

I like the sound of a black pattern on an robed white skin but those that I saw were a long way from that.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

here's a Shunrai bred by Kawakami

T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shunrai-shunrai.jpg  

Jumbo
    And the others ID'd as shunrai from Kawakami...from the same auction...

I'd enjoy a black and blue fish, sumi in kohak patterning on asagi, but I'm not sure I see these fish making it, if that is the goal.

The fish posted by trac is a recommeded pick by Taro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shunrai-110107b_001.jpg   Shunrai-110107b_002.jpg   Shunrai-110107b_010.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast