Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rate your koi food:

We feed Hikari Wheat Germ, and Hi silk the month b4 the show. I also feed alot of fresh fruit, and a homemade ala JR Izeki paste food, when I can get the paste food. I thought it was not available anymore? Is it? and if so, where can we get it?

Used to use Haifeng Wheatgerm, and have sporatically used love star, Dainichi, Hikari Excel, and others, but not consistently the last few years...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler
    We feed Hikari Wheat Germ, and Hi silk the month b4 the show. I also feed alot of fresh fruit, and a homemade ala JR Izeki paste food, when I can get the paste food. I thought it was not available anymore? Is it? and if so, where can we get it?

Used to use Haifeng Wheatgerm, and have sporatically used love star, Dainichi, Hikari Excel, and others, but not consistently the last few years...
    Bob, you can call Eastern Nishikigoi in LA to see if they have Izeki.

I called Eastern (thats where I got it b4) and they dont have it (nor did any others I called).. or didnt a few months ago. They didnt know if they would be getting it again due to import restrictions... I will call again, but was hoping for more leads.

I called Eastern (thats where I got it b4) and they dont have it (nor did any others I called).. or didnt a few months ago. They didnt know if they would be getting it again due to import restrictions... I will call again, but was hoping for more leads.

Call again

Thnx for the help Little birdies Now Shila can look forward again to trays of goop in the fridge

Thnx for the help Little birdies Now Shila can look forward again to trays of goop in the fridge
    Just tell her its chocolate mochi....

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by shiromujigirl
    Steve, I feed the show fish Rangen staple all year except two months prior to a show I feed them Hi Silk and Izeki, shrimp and endive lettuce. They win a lot of trophys so this diet doesn't seem to be ruining them.
    From what Brett has said about Rangen feeds they provide a well balanced diet designed specifically for koi/carp fish. That would imply a diet designed to promote a healthy fish that maintains good body. I would still be feeding Rangen if I knew why my fish stopped eating it. Which kinda/sorta brings me to my next thought re your feeding practices. What is the result to the development of your show fish from the Hi Silk and Izeki, shrimp, and endive lettuce diet that you have found beneficial to their show appearance. From reading about your prize winning koi you must be doing something right.

Which also leads to the question...why do we feed the higher cost feeds and what do we expect out of them? Is it marketing? Is it because the big show winners, as a generalization, feed those types of imported feeds? And then there is the corn/grain based issue. Long threads devoted to the evils or benefits of feeds based on grains.

And then back to the beginning of this thread...are those who regularly use the feeds they indicated they use seeing the benefits they expected? What lead them to the feeds they are using at present?

Steve

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Hey Steve how's your pond doing? Haven't seen the finished product...
    Pond remodel (a saga equal to Homer's Odyssey) is coming along steady by jerks. At some point I need to edit the photos for the web and get them put up so those who have expressed an interest can see them.

Steve

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234