Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate your koi food:

Arrow Rate your koi food:

Rate your koi food: from 1-10, 10 being the best. Since we are the consumers we can do this.

Wheatgerm:

1. Hai Feng Growth.
    2. Ogata Wheatgerm.
    3. Hikari Wheatgerm.
    4. MediCarp.
    5. Aqua Master Growth.

This by no means says using these foods will make your fish better, but understanding the whole process of food, water conditions and pond size does.

Jumbo
    I have used all of them in the last 30 months. I got crazy growht out of all of them. I used medicarp and haifeng in 2003. At spring 2004, shiro on most of my kois has a pinkish tone to it. I used medicarp and aqaumaster last summer, and hikari wheatgerm since last oct, and the shiro is much better, as of this morning.

stan

I think the only one I've never tried is the Ogata because i don't know of any local dealers that stocked it. I hear that daiinichi has a good product out. I know plenty of folks who use the hai feng and are happy with it. Seems with more and more food out there to select from the harder it gets! I tried to get some Momotaro from the USA distributor when i bought my BH but it was in a container that was not being released at the time so I never got a chance to try it!

The one's I perfer:

Kani Ichiban...my personal favorite (not sure I'll be able to get it now though)
    Hikari wheatgerm
    Ogata Special Silk Power
    Izeki pastefood
    Dainichi..changed to Kani Ichiban when it came out..this worked well though.

The ones I didn't care for:

Medicarp...too much waste, whites went off color on several fish with great white. Came back after dropping it.
    Aquamaster...fed some in a pinch...same results as medicarp re: whites

I used to feed Love star when it was available. I contacted the maufacturer and the ingredients were so expensive he didn't think he could resume production without upping the cost out of the market.

so Dan is your outside pond still covered?

Sansai
    I have been feeding Hikari Wheatgerm as the main diet for two seasons now. I changed from Rangen when my fish stopped eating it as well as they had been. In fact I had to mix it with a plain gelatin to make it into a sinking feed to get them to eat it close to what they had been. I was feeding alost 2% per day in three feedings. When they stopped, actually greatly slowed down, eating the Rangen I started feeding the Hikari Sinking Wheatgerm. They are now eating approximately 1% over 4 feedings a day. This year I am going start using the kichi koi buffet demand feeder.

I would like to try some of the Ogata or Momotaro but do not know where to get any and it is my understanding that the Izeki Paste is no longer available.

Steve

Hey Dick...pond still covered...pond temperatures still low 50's to 58 degrees....currrently 55. Probably take them off in 2 weeks or so.

Was reading alot of hobbyist getting potbelly on their fish using Hikari....

Since we are talking about koi food....anyone want to add to this...

1. Hai Feng Growth. I used it years ago and it seemed to be OK. I guess I still would be using it if I didn't move over to Hikari.
    2. Ogata Wheatgerm. Just started using it and it seems to be a good food. I think time will tell.
    3. Hikari Wheatgerm. I have been using it for the last 3 years or so and I'm very happy with it. The only problem is the cost of it.
    4. MediCarp. Never used because of the name
    5. Aqua Master Growth. Never used

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast