Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunlight, Koi and Ponds?

Tategoi
    Carl:

Your pond should be OK, our "Japanese" garden pond is in the open next to our house and under 3 guava trees, like your location 1/2 of pond is usually in the shade no matter the daytime hour...No problems

Use a shade cloth over second pond more to keep neighbors plumeria leaves from falling into the pond, than for the shade... Hopefully you don't have any mango trees near your pond location, heard the falling flowers may cause toxic reaction in pond...

Any word from the Army yet... All the koi club members are looking forward to visiting you in Japan and having you show us around...

Aloha! Mike

Bekko: The structure will be similar to a lath house, but not as much lattice needed when using shadecloth. The purpose is two-fold: shade and reducing leaf debris falling into pond. When the hurricanes took out the trees around my pond last Fall, there were immediate consequences from eliminating leaf drop and having full sun. Water quality became more stable, nitrate levels plummeted and algae on the pond walls went rampant. The sloughed off algae requires daily filter maintenance to avoid blockage. I want to restore shade, but also minimize leaf drop.

Shade Cloth Color

MikeT

I found out the hard way: a bright green shade cloth over the pond. As for the explanation, I'll just post Brady Brandwood's response to you on NI for the benefit of the orthers reading this thread:

"... yes, the color of your shade cloth can change the "way your eye sees the Koi" by changing the color temp. of the light, and/or bouncing and reflecting unnatural colors onto the pond. Blue boosts the color temp up,... and yellow or orange will drop the color temp of the sunlight down,... both directions can create false color representation. Obviously this isn't truly affecting the Koi's colors,... unless a lot of natural sunlight is removed for long periods of time. Beyond reflected light,... reducing light changes the way our eye sees details.

Black is the preferred color because it is a "neutral" or negative color - it doesn't reflect light, and it doesn't produce a glare or reflection on the pond water.
    Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood "

MikeM

Shade cloth is also great to catch leaves (and other things) from hitting your pond. You can simply use a blower to move them off the cloth. Also great for catching blooms and seed pods in the Spring. Unfortunatey, due to a warm spell earlier than normal this year, the cloth was not up yet to catch the flower petals of a HUGE Cherry tree next door :-(

Arthur
    Arthur

one year a few years back at a show, they put up three tents to cover the display tanks. my friend who usually wins a number of big awards took nothing that year. the two end tents were white, the one he was under was yellow.
    made his reds look weak. he complained and asked to have the koi judged outside but his didn't get close enough to even be considered for a close race.
    yup, color can make a difference.

That's why be wary of dealers who's tanks are shaded in blue...Makes the reds look darker....My pond is shaded by 2 trees an olive tree and a lemon tree...yes it is a lot of work scooping leaves out of the pond, but the fish are calm and happier this way in my opinion...

Tategoi
    Arthur:

Thanks for your post...experience beats all theory...

As I noted on the NI board, either paranoia is setting in or our maize (off-white)shade cloth is creating a yellow hue in our pond...may have to change to black...

Again thanks to you and others who responded...

Aloha! Mike

Happier?

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    That's why be wary of dealers who's tanks are shaded in blue...Makes the reds look darker....My pond is shaded by 2 trees an olive tree and a lemon tree...yes it is a lot of work scooping leaves out of the pond, but the fish are calm and happier this way in my opinion...
    Aquitori,

Why would the koi be happier with leaves in the water from trees as opposed to say something nicely built that kept debri out of the water? Especially if you constantly have to dipping your nets in the pond to take leaves out.

Do the koi get used to seeing the net(s) in the water regularly?

I think the koi can't tell the difference one way or another. They have always been in vats, tanks, ponds, etc. all there lives...Maybe the ponds reflectance has something to do with it.

Much like ourselves, if we are placed in an empty space with low lighting, the tendancy is to maintain calm and to lurk in the dark corners. As opposed to a live and highly reflective and well lit white room, we would be uncomfortable, exposed, vulnerable and extremely skidish. Sound like putting new koi in a tadai.

I would like to have more light. My koi ponds are under an enormous tree about 50 feet tall and 100 feet wide. I couldn't remove it, even if I wanted to. It sheds it's leaves in late winter so a little algae will almost grow between mid-February and the end of March. The new leaves are rapidly coming out now so it's getting a little darker every day.

-steve

Fry

Thumbs up

This is a shot from the top (vortex settlement) pool, which is about the best way I can show the bridge I built for viewing and crossing the 20 ton pond to the lower garden. Happily, the Koi love nestling under the bridge when the sun is high, nipping out for a mooch around every now and then

View from North

From North right

From South (House) aspect

Nisai

temperature

Hi all
    First post on here
    In my opinion a stable temerature is key on koi health,
    So my qestion is momotaro glass house ponds
    must get mighty hot in the summer months
    so they must cool down a hell of a
    lot at night.
    How do they deal with that sort of temperature Change.

Steve W

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12