Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunlight, Koi and Ponds?

Sunlight, Koi and Ponds?

Okay gang, simple question. Do koi require any amount of sunlight? UV Light? Does exposure to sun deter or help grow or quality of koi. I'm guessing mud ponds and summer seasons is telling me the answer, but has anyone grown koi in heavily shaded ponds with similar results? I'm also assuming that sunlight is just good natural way for ponds in nature to flourish. Any insights?

Sunlight in the fall and winter is critical to maintain high quality colors hence all the greenhouses in Niigata.

The only time i have seen anything negative is in shallow ponds under bright sun where the koi actually get a burn if they don't have a place to hide and get into the shade. In your climate it would be a good idea to shade half your pond and allow them a chance to seek their own comfort

even in some grow ponds I have seen certain plants used to create floating areas of shade.

as a former avid fisherman I have seen many species with just their head under the shade of a sunken log or hiding under the end of a dock in the shade!

Bout the time I think we've answered all your questions then you surprise me! Keep up the good work!

Tategoi
    Does anyone know if Japanese breeders supplement sunlight with either Metal Halide or Sodium high intensity discharge lights?

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Bout the time I think we've answered all your questions then you surprise me! Keep up the good work!
    Don't worry Dick, even with ALL my questions, I can and will always find some nuance or tidbit that will cause myself sleepless nights. Just my nature I guess. I'm real intense when it comes to learning and planning projects. In the meantime, I'll just keep plugging away...

Thanks to everyones help, I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable about my own ability to pull the pond construction together with minimal revisions. We'll have to see about that?

In planning a new pond, there will be an open wood structure built to cover it, with the "roof" made of shadecloth. I've not decided between 60% or 80% shade. Direct sun would enter from the South and West when the sun is low in the sky. Thoughts?

MikeM,

We are using a 63% shade cloth over the ponds. This works well but if you also cover the plants around the pond, do not use more than 55%.

Let the shade cloth drape down on the South-West side in a way that it can be rolled up.

Oh! Also make sure to only use BLACK shade cloth: any other color will alter the colors of the koi.

Have fun!

If it is to be a permanent structure, why not make a lath house - small strips of wood which block 50 (or whatever) percent of the light. The lath house is what they used before shade cloth was invented. I just think it looks better.

-steve

Tategoi
    Arthur:

Thanks for your information...I have one question re: your quote:

"Oh! Also make sure to only use BLACK shade cloth: any other color will alter the colors of the koi."

Where did you get this information? What causes the color change? Do you have any specifics on the effects of the different colors...ie: What happens if we use maize (beige) shade cloth or green, etc... Any reference material will be greatly appreciated...

Looking forward to your reply as a number of friends will be putting shade cloth up in the next few weeks....In addition, based on your comments, I may have to change ours to black...

Aloha! Mike

MikeT,
    Just guessing but maybe the color variations is just the product of reflectance off adjacent materials. I guess like smoked or blue tinted glass. kind of makes sense to me, interested in Arthurs explanation as well.

As for shade cloth, thats out for me...I'm already placing the pond inside the setbacks, which means nothing overhead there. Its ok cause pond location is on the North side of the house, house blocks sun almost all day. Estimating half sun/half shade throughout the day at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by bekko
    If it is to be a permanent structure, why not make a lath house - small strips of wood which block 50 (or whatever) percent of the light. The lath house is what they used before shade cloth was invented. I just think it looks better.

-steve
    Very architectural Steve, I'm very impressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast