Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Growth Cycle

Fry

Growth Cycle

When do koi stop growing in length and just put on girth? My 5 year old koi have stopped growing in length and are just starting to fill out. Do male and females have the same growth cycle?

Steve

The most accurate answer is that they never stop growing longer, absent inappropriate conditions. The older they are, the slower they will grow. But as to girth, I think it depends on the fish, the feeding and the exercise available. I'd say that by 4 years you'll see girth proportion increasing, if not sooner. But, there are always exceptions with living things.

Bloodline seems to play a big part too, fish of magoi bloodline seem to grow big their the first 5 years...Where as some Niigata breeder take time to grow big. In time some fish regardless of age seems to catch up in size sooner or later.

Where are some of your fish from? Breeder?

Fry
    I have fish from Momotaro,Niigata,Ogata,Omosako,Suzuki and Yagenji. I have a Ginrin Ochiba that grew twice as fast as any other koi I have had. It's 3yrs old and 22.5" long. I assumed it was male due to body type(torpedo shape) but it is starting to increase in girth. Will bowl it soon and find out.

What percentage does genetics as compared to environment play into the growth of a koi.

Question: Would a 5yr. old koi moved from a small heavily stocked pond to a larger pond with a low stocking level have a growth spirt?

Steve

Jumbo
    "What percentage does genetics as compared to environment play into the growth of a koi. "

HI STEVE, ENVIRONMENT AND DIET PLAY A MUCH LARGER ROLE IN KOI DEVELOPMENT THAN MANY IMAGINE. A KOI THAT HAS THE GENETIC POTENTIAL TO GROW WILL GROW WELL,... UNTIL IT REACHES THE LIMITS OF ITS ENVIRONMENT, THEN IT WILL SLOW. THIS ALSO HAPPENS IN MUD PONDS ,... WHEN WE SEE 2 AND 3 YEAR OLDS AT HARVEST ALL THE SAME LENGTH - THE "GROUP" HAVE GROWN THE MAX THE POND WILL ALLOW THEM TO - THIS IS BASED ON WATER AVAILABLE, HORMONAL FEEDBACK, AND THE AMOUNT OF FOOD AVAILABLE TO THE GROUP.

"Question: Would a 5yr. old koi moved from a small heavily stocked pond to a larger pond with a low stocking level have a growth spirt?"

A 5 YEAR OLD IS TOO FAR ALONG TO GROW A LOT MORE IN A NEW ENVIRONMENT - SOME,... BUT ITS TOO OLD TO HAVE A HUGE SPIRT. A 2 OR 3 YEAR OLD WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM GETTING BACK UP TO SPEED WITH GROWTH.

BEST WISHES,
    BRADY BRANDWOOD

Yup most or all of the breeders you mentioned all use "Matsunoske Bloodline". Your general water hardness is soft I take it?

Question: Would a 5yr. old koi moved from a small heavily stocked pond to a larger pond with a low stocking level have a growth spirt?

I would say yes, I had an Yamabuki Ogon I had in a tank for a year, that grew only an inch so 5 inches total. But when I put the Ogon in the pond in early spring the Ogon was 15 inches by Sept.

No use repeating the common thread of genetics and environment, but they are right on!

I do think for the average keeper, the hype is on large fish and yet the tiny ponds they go into has the owner paying for soemthing they'll never realize.

If you imagine that your water quality and filtration is perfect what will be the limit for overstocking in regard of the good growing conditions ?