Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triploid Koi

Where you been ranskye? The oxygen bottle is a good idea. You could probably use a small spare oxygen bottle as the cylinder to hold the eggs as well. Much cheaper than the purpose-made stuff.

Clochine creates a lot of weird mutations in plants. I do not know what the equivalent compound would be in fish. The results may not be pretty though.

It is also possible to treat eggs with estrogen to produce all-female offspring.

-stevehopkins

i think that solution thrown onto plants produces offspriing of every imaginable type. everything the plant has ever been and could be.. what would be considered mutants galore..cause through a normal natural cross there is more uniformity.
    ive heard also that doing that, polyploids and stuff will kill most of the offspring seed, but leave just enough to cross again and then give everything imaginable under the sun.
    my guess is that the chemical would kill the fish and not work the same way on fish as it does a plant..but ive never heard it tried.. if it did youd get some very unusual results..
    we tend to play around with nature a lot dont we. too much.
    i remeber back in ag school and kids saying how we shouldnt be playing with mother nature..
    even the very idea of selective breeding is playing around.

ive got a dog that been cut and its a bit sad to know that he can no longer produce any offspring..poor boy. grandaddy rabbits would be happy though..

arent the big koi places using cryo machines yet?

id imagine that will be done someday.. thaw them out. some of the champion eggs of yesteryear and cross them with milt from back then or new champ fish milt.
    you could thaw out a ten thousand eggs for each type of milt that you had and get a great idea of what the cross gives without taking years of natural crossings..
    its almost scary what we can and do do these days.
    hmm i can just imagine the light globes going off all over the place.

hi steve, yeah i been on hiatus.
    think i caught some kinda internet disease..forgot my other life.. became a shadow of my former self and all that..this internet knowledge thing is addictive hey.

actually i aint been anywhere, just workin the farm and doing other stuff of a night time instead of spendin hours on the net.
    thought id drop back in and see whats going on in koibito land.
    breeding season is about 6 weeks away.
    been busy getting things ready.. harvesting out all the old stuff.
    trying to cathc some wild bass.. elusive buggers.. gonna use a net soon.

id never heard th estogen thing..

hey steve have you ever heard of fantail goldfish producing more or less fantails through changes in temperature or ph.?
    my boss reckons she did a crop once and they came out majority single tails, i think it was an early season crop, maybe was colder water.
    but i expect it was more because the fantails used where from unpure fantail parents.
    they were showing a fantail but actually holding single tailed genetic from the parent fish.

Yes, they say that environmental conditions can make a drastic change in the ratio of goldfish characteristics. Read that on the Goldfish Breeders Forum. I would tell you more about that forum, but do not want to lead your addictive personality away from real life experiences :>)

-stevehopk

haha thats a good idea steve..

plus ive got a pond with huge numbers of them anyway, probably 40,000plus, dont need to breed early this year, this years early breedings will be koi. maybe someday ill take some pics.

i gotta get going, an early harvest in the cold.

will check ya later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12