Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triploid Koi

Triploid Koi

I believe that a mad scientist is making triploid koi. Are the eggs about to hatch SMG?

-steve hopkins

hey bekko is that like the cross where they took coho salmon with walleye and musky and came up with a Cowalski?

Good one Dick.

But no, that's where you shock the eggs with heat, cold, pressure or chemicals (or a combination) to make them have three sets of chormosomes instead of two. This will make the fish sterile so females will not waste energy on reproduction and, hopefully, grow faster and larger.

Creating triploids is done routinely with grass carp to create sterile fish for stocking small private ponds and lakes. The sterile grass carp will control unwanted vegetation, but cannot become reproducing populations in local reservoirs or rivers where their feeding habits could disrupt the ecosystem. For example, in Washington...
    http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...t/aqua024.html

-steve hopkins

triploids at least in trout make for fast growers and are eagerly sought by anglers here in the Northwest.

I always appreciate your technical expertise!

thanks for being active on our board!

If one placed fertilized koi eggs into a pressure cooker, put an air hose on it and raised the pressure in there, reasonably, and leave the whole thing out in the sun for gentle heating what do you think would happen.
    Problem is, my experimental koi hens are keeping their legs...er...fins together.

Shucks SMG, I hoped you had it all figured out and were going to tell us how it worked! After seeing your cryptic post on NI, I read that for grass carp they run the pressure up to 8,000 psi of hydrostatic pressure for 90 seconds. That's a lot of pressure.

I've never done triploids hands-on but briefly watched some guys make triploid striped bass many years ago. They had a canister-like thing which they mashed in a hydraulic press to create the required pressure. Wish now I had paid closer attention.

Aquatic Ecosystems sells the cannister, but it's not cheap:
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/3431/cid/1012

I am wondering if it would be possible to rig an old hydraulic cylinder off of a tractor or something to use as a canister (after washing out the oil, of course) and use a wheel bearing press or just a hydraulic car jack to compress the piston and generate the pressure.

-steve hopkins

So the stuff is availible and as soon as the fish are ready all you have to do is pick out those GC eggs and put them in the vat!

B.Scott

gday again steve, wouldnt you be able to get enough pressure from an o2 gas bottle..hook it all up with a pressure reader until it got up to the desired pressure in the water/egg container?

As I've watched the history of koi champions ,so much is placed on being able to buy babies from them the following spring. If all the girls are "It's", It would dramatically change the face of the way things are done.

instead of saying i bought a baby of so and so's....

I had my egg "tripped" in the same pressure cooker as the champs from show 59 and 60!

I don't know but it kind of looses something for me. I like things done the old fashioned way, boy meets girl etc.......(LOL)

but why not a clone of that big winner? I know in plants they use colchine to treat for triploids being produced and if it does for the fish what id does for the plants hello JUMBO !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast