Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In prize of Bakki Showers.

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)

In praise of Bakki Showers.

As many of you will know, I have recently finished the first 4 concrete ponds at the farm. They run with Bakki Showers direct from the bottom drains and static Kaldnes from the skimmer for fines removal.

In the shortest space of time these ponds have come through with no hiccups what so ever. Each pond contains a ridiculous number of koi; they are thriving and climbing on top of each other at every slight of a human. They only dream of pellets and they are getting plenty.

yes, i saw your site just the other day and checked out the pics of the ponds and the concrete slabs etc. pretty full on shed that one.seems your temps get cold over there maurice, i noticed your insulation.. hell youve done some work. looking forward to seeing some great fish comeing form your operation.
    an old farm i worked at had a plastic roof and now its full of holes from hail.
    these where the size between gold balls and tennis balls though.

i guess youd be heating the tanks throught the winter, obviously have power to run pump for bakki. let us know when the fiish start to get too big and they get slower in growth or water goes down..would like to know how many kilos these things run at a quick growth rate.
    do you currently practise the daily exchange like they do in japan?.
    is it the plan to grow your fish to a big size in these tanks or use the mud as well?

glad your keeping us up with you! whew, you've been busy. if I didn't know better I'd say you never took a vacation to australia but stayed at home and worked1 (lol)

curious to see some numbers on the water your charges are growing in PH,KH,Gh Etc

p.s. keep up the good work!

Maurice your Projext is Jumbo. You definately are workign hard. We want more pics please....

Joe

Sansai
    Healthy looking, and hungry looking koi. What are their average size? All the best to your great effort!

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    These koi are just general grade, waiting for sale to garden centers. This pond contains 4" koi, there's a couple thousand in there.

ranskye, during the summer the concrete ponds will hold koi ready for sale. During winter they will have my tategoi, held in warm water and grown over the cooler months. So some times they may hold 2,000 standard grade koi or 50 of my prized.
    Nothing older than tosai in these concrete pond. For the winter the standard to good quality will stay in the mud ponds.
    Older koi will be phase two of my program. I'm guna be old before I finish here, it's all planned, but I've only got two hands and only a few pounds left!
    Maurice.

Maurice,

What a sight that must be walking in to there ever morning and hearing and seeing all those koi flooding toward you.

I bet you cant wait to get to work.

Cheers

hard work for one man thats for sure, and let alone putting up all that maccano, think of how it might keep your heart tickin all that much longer hey maurice!

definatley looks like itll get cold there, ive never had a snow. i put my hands in water of 3 degrees C and im outa there in a matter of minutes..i know that ive measured temps in hothouses compared to ponds outside..
    i remember a time when our winter was leaving and spring was on its way and the temp was 15 degrees C in the outside ponds and 18 degrees centrigrade under the covers..it sure makes a fifference in growth rate and period you can grow.

i hope to see some real great koi from your place one day..only then maurice you can go get old.

Fry

how to?

Dear Maurice,

does that mean they run on separate pumps? would the pump direct from the bottom drain need to be able to handle solids?

Thomas

Hi Maurice,

Sounds great!

You may have posted this elsewhere, but do you mind informing mewhat flow rate through the BS, what size BS/BH media for how big of a holding pond, and did you construct your own static Kaldness chamber? Thnx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast