Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing japanese mat in multichambers filters wit K1 kaldness

Changing japanese mat in multichambers filters wit K1 kaldness

I read with a lot interest the B.Scott treads about the transformation of a japanese mat vortex with the kaldness K1. I have a multichamber filtre with the water arriving from the bottom and I would like to know if the same kind of transformation would works. Does the Kaldnes nead the to be move in a circular way (like in a vortext) to work properly or could it work in a multichamber with only a vertical movement?
    I'm tired to clean the japanese mat and I would like to change my system.
    After the vortex and the brush chamber I still have three others chambers, two with Japanes mat and one with biobals. Would you transform (slowly one by one) all the chambers or would you keep some with biobals or japanese matt.
    Thank you

Marco,
    My conversion to static kaldnes is meant only as a filter for fine particles not as biofiltration. The Vortex you saw was never used with J-mat. It started out as a settlement with nothing in it and was later converted to house the Answer. I removed the Answer and first placed static kaldnes floating free in the vortex. This proved to be problematic and coarse waste was mixing into the Kaldnes and I was having trouble removing it. After placing the kaldnes inside a separate units within the vortex this problem was solved.

Do you want fines separation of biofiltration?

For separation of fines you want no movement of as little a possible. I placed a single brush in my vortex to prevent the water swirling about the containment vessel

I do have a second chamber with fluidized Kaldnes. To do this it is absolutely necessary to be able to filter the coarse waste out of the water BEFORE in enters the fluid kaldnes.
    In the fluid kaldness bay you need to look at a few things. You must keep the Kaldness from entering the next chamber and you must prevent it from being flushed back to the previous one. The area where the water transfers to the next chamber must be quite large to prevent the kaldness from packing onto the device that retains it.. I.e. if the water is flowing with too much force the kaldness with stick to the screen and cause the next bay to be sucked down too low. This is another reason for prefiltration of coarse waste as this will do the same..
    Last of all you need to pump air into the chamber beneath the Kaldnes to make it circulate and not float on the surface. The added air also aids nitrification.
    In a fluid set up you want vertical circulation. the water spinning doesn't matter one way or the other. It won't help but won't hurt either.

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Thanks Scott for the clear explanation. I will order some kaldness and will transform my filter in a few weeks. I will let you know and send some picture if everything works.

I practice a few linguages but latin was a really bad experience at school, could you translate the latin sentence you use to write closing your reply.
    Thanks

Hope it works out for you Marco. If you need any tips or have urgent questions just email me. Be sure to use Koi-Bito in the email title as I spend alot of time deleting spam.

Semper in excretia...

Always in sh#t

Sumus solum profundum variat...

It's only the depth that varies.

What do expect from a plumber?

B.Scott

For a vat of that amount I would definately go for an air input of over 2.5 cfm, something closer to 3.5 would really keep it churning. I have a vat with about 4 cu ft of K1 and a linear piston pumping 2.5 and it just barely keeps it moving. You don't want an area of media to sit stagnant, it will be of no use if it isn't part of a fluidized mass. the good thing is that linear piston pumps are efficient, and cheap! 60 bux should get you one to do the job ebay is a good place to look.
    " I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy "

Mike,
    Marco and I are in Europe. All those CFU's might as well be greek. What's that in real money?

B.Scott

ok here goes, the pump I was looking at specifically pumps 3.18 cubic feet per minute, 90 liters per minute. cost is around 62 dollars US, about 46 Euro's and consumes only 80 watts while pumping. the specific pump I was looking at is this one http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...mps&1116211201
    I have a slightly smaller one Like I said but my chamber is taller versus a vortex's wide short shape. I think I get better churning due to the tall column of fluidized K1.

Thanks Mike,
    Sounds like a good pump. Shame it's 110v. Price looks good as well!

Marco I would still like to know exacty what it is you intend to use the kaldnes for... particle removal of filtration?

B.Scott

Marco here is an update with new pictures about particle capture with static kaldness

http://11.freebb.com/viewtopic.php?t...oiunleashedcou

Scott, like you see I still have a few things to learn; I first thought that kaldness was a good solution to have a bio filtration, eliminate small particle and was also an easy solution wich could spare time to clean my japanese mats.
    So I first wanted to replace the japanes mats with caldness....

My problem is that the chamber with my brushes wich is directly after a vortex does not clean the water enough for my japanes mats wich are in the two following chambers. When they are durty, the water doesn't go through quickly enough and my last chamber (bioball) does not have water enough to feed the pomp to the pond.

I first though that usin kaldness in my second and third chamber, I would have find the solution, and that was a mistake....

But I imagin now that if I can have a better filtration in my first chamber (replacing brushes by caldness) my japanese mats will be more active because of cleaner water and more oxygen in the water. Also they will let the water pass through easier and resolve my water level in the last chamber.

Do you think that after a vortex wich works well, the kaldness can have a place in my filtration ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast