Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bottom Drains

Question Bottom Drains

Hello fellow Hobbyists,
    I am in the process of building a 10,000+ gallon pond and I am wondering if I can possibly get away with using a single bottom drain. The bottom of my Pond is shaped like a swimming pool starting at 4ft.and going to 6ft. I would like to have your input please. Thanks.

how many times per hour do you plan to turnover the water in your pond?

if once/twice per hour, one BD isnt going to cut it. try getting at least 3 (2 at the deep end, 1 at the 4' end) the rest of the circulation from the skimmers.

Question

Thanks Aragorn, is there a guide anywhere that shows how much flow you can get through a 4" drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Akinosan
    Thanks Aragorn, is there a guide anywhere that shows how much flow you can get through a 4" drain?

I think the Max flow through a 4" bottom drain is like 3600 Gallons sounds like you need 2 minimum.

Another pond? WOW! Ok I am coming over soon!

Joe

Hey Joe!
    Yes I am redoing my first pond and making it larger and Koi friendly. I removed all the rock and dug deeper and wider. Come see whenever your in town. I need all the advice I can get!

Ruben, your more then welcome to check out my setup as well. Maybe it will give you an idea of what not to do!

akinosan, keokoi is right ... 3600 is just about the max you can flow through a 4" pipe, but this will be reduced by the distance to the settlement chamber and the number of bends on the 4" pipe.

so, for examply 3000 gph is the net flow through a 4" pipe, you'd need 3 (3x3000=9000gph) just to get close to turning over the water every hour.

the turnover might be determined by stocking density, but we all know we will never stick to just a few koi.

Quote Originally Posted by Akinosan
    Hello fellow Hobbyists,
    I am in the process of building a 10,000+ gallon pond and I am wondering if I can possibly get away with using a single bottom drain. The bottom of my Pond is shaped like a swimming pool starting at 4ft.and going to 6ft. I would like to have your input please. Thanks.
    Have you also considered what could happen if the "one" drain plugged up??? I would really opt for 2 bottom drains.

Ultimately each drain is to go to its own settlement chamber that is if you are using one. To tee off of each drain will be very hard to have equal draw from each drain and to control from a valve is still very hard. If both lines were equal in distance and fittings this could be achieved. But its much easier to have a dedicated chamber to each drain.

Ruben what you doing tomorrow?

Joe