Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: % of Water change

Thanks for all the answer, I was not changing water so often because I thought it was not so good for the filtration.

I can do it more often when there is no water restriction (usualy two month a year),watering the garden with the water comming out the skimmer instead of using normal water, but considering the water ressource on the planete, does anybody knows if there is a system to treat the water we through away so that we can use it again for pond ? I know there are some products that add minerals in the water.. are they for that purpose ?

In a few year the water will be so expensive that only a few people will be able to have big pond just because of the water cost.

Sansai
    I understand perfectly what you mean Marco. Mine is a 70 tons pond. I would like to do a 10% change daily like DickB. But it means 7 tons of water is thrown away per day. I donot have that kind of water supply. So I change only about 5%. Thankfully, fish are ok. Water parameters are ok too.

Marco: I've bumped an old thread on water changes for your review. On my old pond I did 50% water changes weekly, and had started doing a 5% or 10% water change mid-week. On my new pond I do not know what my weekly schedule will become. Right now, I'm doing minor daily replacement of water dumped from settlement and backwashing bead filter ... at least 1%, and more likely 2-3%. The weekend water change is starting at 20%. So, over the course of the week it is amounting to about one-third of pond volume. I will end up at whatever rate gives me stable water parameters, low nitrates (as well as no ammonia or nitrite), and is workable in my schedule. I think regularity and frequency are very important because the pond bio-system will develop a rhythm that matches. That is why the schedule must be compatible with my schedule. Ironically, the goal of water changes is not to cause change, but to maintain stability. I am very fortunate to have decent source water. Those who must treat their source water for anything other than chlorine have a much greater challenge.

As you begin increasing your water changes, go slowly. A dramatic shift is not good for the fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12