Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: % of Water change

% of Water change

I read in some tread that some people make a change of water of about 5% of the pond volume pro day. That means about one third of the water each week and seams to be too much for me.
    How much water do you renew if you don't have any quality problem on the pond water ?

MINIMUM OF 10% DAILY FOR ME. aS WATER WARMS I DRAIN ALL MY VORTEXES

TWICE A DAY, SO IS PROBABLY CLOSER TO 20%.

THE 10% COMES FROM THE CONTUNUAL TRICKLE 24/7.

AFTER ALL THESE YEARS IT WAS THE CHEAPEST MOST EFFECTIVE THING i COULD DO. nEXT WAS EXTRA AIRATION, NEXT WAS UNDERSTOCKING.....

Dick,

I just drain my filter once a week and then complete the level of the pond to the maximum level for my filter (gravity feeded) , so I renew about 4 % of the water weekly.
    I know now that I'm doing wrong, but in summer we often have water restriction to spare the water, so what is the minimum I should renew ?

Marco,
    Greetings my friend!
    Consider this. Since water changes are difficult for you because of water restrictions, another way to stretch that 4% is to cut the number of koi in your pond.
    Perhaps you have ten koi. If you find a home for one, you have helped the % of demand on your water sourse. Also because you want to know consider a trickle into the pond 24/7. It can amount to 4% but it is constant. You will experience better reults then a once a week.
    I installed an overflow drain on my vortex. When I drain the filters the water goes down and inch or two but builds back over night. Overage goes out the overflow drain.
    water gets old as it gets recycled. Koi and filter bacteria take from it constantly. make the replensihment just as constant.
    In the 3 decades i have been a koi keeper I have often been referred to as a fanatic. I have 4 koi in 2000 gals (winter) and 4 koi in 4,ooo summer. Most people would have lots more. Maybe it was because I spent time in japan. I would enter an austere looking house and sit on the floor with no furniture.
    The art objects were few. But each one was ancient and worth a fortune. It taught me in a zen kind of way that less is more ( for koi numbers ).

Tategoi
    One koi per thousand gallons doesn't seem fanatic to me, Dick. Of course, each fish would have to be fabulous. It does surprise me, though, that you have settled on an even number. In ichibana, an emphasis is placed on things of beauty being displayed in odd numbers. I think you are short one fish!!

or ... you can hit 2 birds with one stone ...

give one koi to me

and then you will be the fanatic and get an odd number of kois!

j/k

I know now what Dick does with the water change ratio, I'm sure I should do like him, he has a really bigger experience them me, but what are doing most of you, 5%, 10% per day ...

i do 10+% everyday ... 24/7

not because im crazy, but because i have leak somewhere ...

5% constant top-up to overflow, then another 5% once or twice a week when the settlement chambers are emptied.

10,000 gallons system, 20 Koi.

200+ litres of air in pond

I do about 20% per day when the spring is flowing. If I don't use the water it runs off and is of no use to anyone. I am not completely happy with the quality of the spring water and suspect it adversely effects the depth of the hi. I am slowly learning how to deal with the high iron content. But, touch wood, the fish are healthy and growth rates are good.

In a dry summer the spring will stop flowing and then I get really stingy - maybe 1% per day. The cost of tap water is one consideration, but so is the fact that it's a limited resource and someone else may be able to put it to better use.

You know, they say that water is going to become more and more precious as we move through the 21st century. What they admit less often is that the quality of tap (mains) water will get much worse as water supplies dwindle.

-steve hopkins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast