Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Plant (Vegetable) Filters

Daihonmei
    Kiky (and MikeMc),
    I think the hyacinth eventually failed because it depleted its reserves not due to a insect. As in all probability the insect needed to damge Hyacnth would have been brought in with the host plants.

One point not mentioned and the reason I am suspect of veggie filters is that plants have many other by-products from their metabolism, and these may (and should in some cases) be harmful to fish. Most terestrial plants release thes byproducts into the air BUT ALSO THROUGH THEIR ROOTS where a host of bacteria live off of them. In water plants the by-products/toxins are most effieciently released into the water..I don't like the idea.

Hyacinth are also very susceptable to spider mites. In severe cases, you can see the "webs". In all cases, the underside of the leaves become streaked with a bronze color before dying. The mites are not usually a problem when there is a lot of rain as it literally washes the mites off into the water. The plants can also be sprayed with a garden hose to control the mites.

-steve hopkins

Sansai
    Unfortunately I did not make a thorough examination when I got rid of the water hyacinth. So I have no idea whether it was caused by insect, spider mites, or other reasons. But as I said, other plants also cannot flourish; unless there was some soil for the roots. Maybe there is some other explanation?

Bumping it up

Bumping to the top to reply to Sharpey's question to B.Scott in another thread.

Thanks Mike / B.Scott

I have already set up two extra filter boxes filled half way with alphagrog / gravel that are flowing back into my pond from a split return before the venturi. This is an add on to my set up to try and remove the phospate content to stop or inhibit the blanket weed without using chemicals.

I appreciate everyone's help and views on the matter and still wish for people to express opinions. But I do know other Koi pond owners in my particular area that use veggie filters as an add on have significantly reduced blanket weed.

If it works I will have achieved my goal, if not I have wasted 25 in trying that I would have spent on chemicals anyway and I will give you the satisfaction of saying "I told you so" by posting my results

Sharpey: If your algae declines, do not assume the small plant filter was the cause. Algae blooms usually decline after the water warms...it is a seasonal cycle of pond life. More interesting would be testing for nitrate levels, assuming water changes remain at the same rate as during the cooler months of the year. I think you will find the bog plants thrive, but the nitrate levels are not apprciably affected by a few plants.

Tategoi
    Does anyone know if Momotaro still keeps some kind of grassy plant in his BH towers? I was surprised to see that on the DVD (or maybe it was pictures) for all of the reasons mentioned above.

I know he put a bunch of hyacinth in a ring in the big pond, but I think he was suggesting that it was just more pleasant to look at, and gave the giant fish something to hide under, and they liked chewing on it a bit.

the plant mr maeda uses in his showers is called sweet flag. I could never get them to grow in my system as they always looked yellow as if they were being deprived of something vital? (LOL)

I believe Mike Snaden told me that Mr. Meada had removed all the plants from his bakki system as the roots became too invasive.

B.Scott

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast